Differance between 93 and 94 7.3 IDI turbo engine?

Seekers

Reaction score
I've heard/read that the 1994 7.3 IDI Turbo engine is somehow better than previous year 7.3, but wasn't sure if that included the 1993. Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a project where I build a motor starting with a factory turbo unit. It might take a while but mine still drives good and I wanted to make sure I started with the right motor. I will be able to get either one for the same price. Is the 1994 better?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mel explained that to Me before, wath happen is that some parts like rocker arms and maybe the valves also are stronger (biger?) since is supposed that more fuel will be injected so there you go, it will be better build for a turbo setup. Somebody will come up with a more specific explanation but you get the idea.

Seekers

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't explain it right.... I meant a 1994 7.3 turbo idi vs 1993 7.3 turbo idi ....
I know the turbo version is differant, just wondered about the years only. thanks

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
as far as I know there were no changes in the Turbo'd engines between the two years. The changes came when a turbo was strapped to the top of the engine vs the Non turbo'd - which you knew about.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
yep, I'm with Travis. A factory turbo-ed IDI is a factory turbo-ed IDI

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
That's my understanding as well - all the factory turbo IDI's are exactly the same as far as I know (well, all that made their way into F-series trucks anyway).

headmark

Hawkeye
Reaction score
Spokane, Washington U.S.A., The Capitol City of th
Are you getting those engines locally? I myself am looking for an IDI that I can tear down and rebuild slowly as time and money permits. So when that day comes I need to replace my engine I'll have one waiting in the wings. If your only going to buy one, I would be interested in the other one maybe.

Thanks,
Pete

Seekers

Reaction score
yes, I've been quoted a price of $350 for a rebuildable core here locally. I had the same idea of doing is as time and money permits. I had a quote of $600 for all the machine work including resleeving and returning to standard bore, crank (work if needed), recond rods, deck etc... and pressing in bearings and rod bearings machines work. basically everything but heads, rebuild kit and re-assemble. I only need someone to do the re-assembly work when that point comes. I have quotes on rebuild kits from $500 w/o pistons, timing to $1600 with. I'm still doing some homework

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That is a sweet price for a core, I'm looking for one of those too. So bad is washington, too far to pick it up.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Exekiel69 and Headmark: If you guys are looking for motors, I just happen to know where there are 4 "core" motors I asked them how much the other day and they said "the core guys give us 300" so I would assume 300 bucks! 1 is complete, 2 has 1 head off, 1 has both removed. Oh, plus a complete 6.9. (and a stroke but they want 1500 for that.) n a buddy has one sittin, dunno if he'll part with it though. If you guys are interested drop me a PM, I'll even deliver em for ya!

:draw

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When the idi became the "turbo" motor this is what changed inside the motor. The rods were replaced with the larger pin diameter type. They went from 30 mm to 33 mm. The valves changed in material composition only. They are still the same size intake and exhaust. The oil cooler got more fins per inch for better cooling. Crank, heads, cam. oil pump all are the same from 6.9 to the turbo 94 motor. Ok, the 6.9 heads are differant. Otherwise most internal parts are exactly the same year to year. Outside the injection pump and injectors changed from year to year but they will all fit and run mixed or matched up. Sure it may run crappy but things fit. If I have forgotten something I know some will help clear things up for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US