diesel run away tonight while going down the road

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say it sucked the pedal to the floor? Seems odd if it was a pump issue it would pull the pedal but I could be wrong. Cruise stuck on? Is it knocking now? Or anything?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a more exciting day than I had. :)

Glad no one got hurt. ;Sweet

Could be a bad fuel pump diluting the oil. Check the oil level, consistency and smell.
Check for a broken IP pump level return spring. Unlikely since there are usually two. I was recently installed too, so the mechanic would/should have noticed it.

It almost sounds like you had a poltergeist in the truck. ;Poke LOL

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Decades ago, when I was working a Concrete Mix plant, there was an old trucker I would ask how he was doing. One day he said "Any better and we'd have a run-away". I never quite got that. I do now. :)

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jordan, yeah if anything obvious even small, was wrong during install they would have replaced it. I basically gave them a blank check and said make it new. There are very few things left in the engine bay that aren't brand new or reman. The bill I paid to them today should have been enough for the shop to SERIOUSLY test it and make sure it was perfect before handing me the keys. They will get an ear full tomorrow. I won't even begin to tell you the total cost of everything, but it's enough that priority should have spent to make it right the first time. They may have lost my business after this, and I have been going to them for a very long time. and funny you mention ghosts...we have one at work thats been screwing with us lately. It leaves me alone for the most part though. maybe it hitched a ride from work with me today cookoo

You say it sucked the pedal to the floor? Seems odd if it was a pump issue it would pull the pedal but I could be wrong. Cruise stuck on? Is it knocking now? Or anything?

No knocking, starts and idles, and will drive like an old lady fine. Sounds sweet with straight pipes, just imagine them screaming wide open , not so sweet lol. The mechanic did say it sucked it to the floor. I don't know the mechanics of runaways, so i can't pin point the reasoning there. Watching his feet during it, it sure did look like the pedal was matted even with his foot off it. Dont think it was a cruise problem, i don't know if i even have cruise hooked up or have it at all. But even then, cruise would have to be on, and triggered constant accerlerate, i mean, even if i matted the pedal myself, i couldn't make it rev/accelerate as fast as it did. It was ready for the drags while pulling a sled at this point. Insane.

fixall - prior to test driving it, the mechanic hand throttled it wide open a few times to check for the sputtering issue. No problems then. i'll key him in to checking the cable very closely, perhaps the installer missed something. I'm not very smart with these motors, but i'm trying to think. If I had a sputtering problem first (no fuel) then a runaway (unlimited fuel) this should point to something right? Something in the IP stuck closed, then open?? I don't know...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI when I bought my idi from the PO, he told me that he unhooked the cruise control lines because he said he went to set the CC one day, and the pedal went to the floor unexpectedly. He told me that it is safely unhooked and I haven't messed with it nor will I ever work on it. Too scared of that happening to me

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like these thing could wind up like 6k as hypermax build. If balanced an all. Hydro-Idi I was thinking out of the box box my dad had an old Lincoln that did that an couldn't stop it. He threw it it rev or 1st an blew the trans.

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am glad you are ok. The truck can be fixed.

At WOT you might be surprised the suction the intake will see if you try to block it off to choke one down. One of my first cousins was at a Cat equipment shop getting some trackhoe parts when the shop there had a D9 dozer have a runaway. It just had an open intake pipe, the aircleaner assembly was off with the hood. Someone tried to choke it by setting a 4 inch thick shop manual with hard front and back covers on the intake pipe. The D9 sucked it in and spray it out the exhaust like confetti. They grabbed a pair of bolt cutters and cut the fuel line to the pump and had to let run out of fuel in the pump to die.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These engines will suck a gloved hand into the intakes when they have a turbo on them.. Some mechanicl found this out on a cummins engine. It was reving up with the filter off the turbo so he placed his hand over the turbo opening at the intake... Kinda like a meat grinder working his fingers off... Now a pretty thought. Probably a nice piece of 1/4 inch thick plywood or meatel plate is a better idea than a book. Strong men can tear a phone book in half with their bare hands. Imagine what a sucking turbo can do. This is a little information about the sucking effect we feel around a vacuum area. Your not really feeling the vacuum but the rush of atmosphere to fill the void. The "pressure" of the stmosphere is what you feel but your thinking its suction you feel... A funny way of thinking what suction is. Suction is what keeps a plane in the air. Its called lift... Lift is the curve of the wing top surface making the air take longer to travel over the top of the wing than it does for the air to travel under the wing. So there is a vacuum on top of the wing and the bottom of the wing is pushing the wing upwards to fill the void on top of the wing. Slow down this speed of the air and you loose lift... Then you land one way or the other but your leaving the air space you once were flying in... A little information never hurt anyone...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of things going on here.

Started sputtering with overheat light on. Starts to run away and pedal sticks to the floor. Clutch wont disengage for whatever reason. And after a few tries turning the key off killed it.

Sounds very funky.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you possibly have a picture or a description of what vaccum hose i should be looking at to disconnect? this sounds very likely. It's possible it was already disconnected due to an issue when i bought it, and i just didn't notice..then the mechanic connected it when installing the reman.

Spoke with the shop today and the truck ran away on them while hammering up a hill. They didn't wreck it though, so that's a plus. Although they would have to cut me a pretty check if they did :) I went down there this afternoon and installed the tailgate while it was there lol. Can't wait to get it back. It'll be a real workhorse once the bugs are worked out.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure hope there isn't any engine damage associated with those runaway situations. Running a diesel hard when brand new is not good :eek:

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure hope there isn't any engine damage associated with those runaway situations. Running a diesel hard when brand new is not good :eek:

yeah i don't know. i have mixed feelings about it. afterall, the engine was dynoed before it was delivered to me so i imagine that gives it a harder beating than i can ever give it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it is just a cruise control issue. And good thing the test driver at the mechanic shop didn't wreck it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for all the updates... I'm seeing something going on that we have been refering to and thats the injection pump being the problem. Heres why I feel this is the problem. We know from the original posting or there abouts the mechanic told you on the test drive with him at the wheel the peddle was "sucked down to the floor".. Thats what you did say. You also said the rpm went way past the redline. Now thinking how these injection pumps operate we know the governer springs in them will only allow a certain rpm.. Then it defuels. We also know if any burnable fuel like seafoam is poured directly into the intake the engine will easily burn it but the engine will positively run away. Its burning unregulated fuel you just poured down the intake. It will spin rpm like you never could if the injection pump was controlling the rpm thru the govener springs. This is why I will continue to tell you the injection pump is the problem. Your test drive was a bad one.. you said it sputtered and stalled out so it was towed back... Problem one... Now the mechanic drives it and its a wild beast running way past redline with the peddle sucked down to the floor... Well if the govener was working in the injection pump it would only rev to the redline and no farther. Even if the cruise controll was sucking the peddle down it would hit redline and stop reving. A broken throttle cable will only cause it to rev to redline too. So its the injection pump... Please get another pump. The only reason these engines run away is they get fuel from other sources like sucking in the engine oil or some person trys cleaning the intake manifold like they did a gas engine and poured stuf down the intake. We don't have throttle bodys in these intakes so they will burn anything they suck in. A oil pipeline truck must have a shutoff valve over the intakes incase there is a gas fuel leak and the engine starts to suck that into the engine... It will burn but you have no throttle capabilitys nor do you have anyway to shut off the engine. You need to shut off the fuel source or the air source... Bad injection pump feeding the engine way too much unregulated fuel. You said the mechanic tried several times to shut off the ignition switch but it was not working till the very end. Still sounds like the pump is bo... Best of luck with this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel