Diesel Oil Fitler vs. Gasser Oil Filter

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
is there a difference between an oil filter intended for a diesel app and one intended for a gas engine app? can i hurt a diesel engine by running a gasser filter?

rdnckhauss

Reaction score
Are there filters that cross and work on gas and diesel? I have never been able to cross reference just the top part of one. I looked for a just in case. Now are you meaning filter manufactures, like fram, napa, baldwin, fleetguard, wix? I will never run a wix on anything after 3 in a row unseemed. I liked Baldwins on my race car, and frams Extreme gaurd? i ran on the 3.9 in my 99 dakota. No for my diesel, i run the Cummins rec filters, for the most part they are about the same price as anything else, and i drive by the store on my drive to and from work.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for instance, most of the pickups talked about on this board are 444 cu. in. diesels IH motors. Ford also sticks 460 cu. in. gas motor in the same pickups, the oil filters between the two are very different even though the motor is roughly same size. I think the diesel engines flow much more oil than the gas engine.
Look at the thread size on the two filters, PH8A,(460 gas), PH3766 (444 diesel)
Now if the same oil filter physically fits on both there is most likely a difference, flow or maybe even pressure. I would do much research before doing that.
I noticed on my pickup when I changed from Fram to Wix the idling oil pressure was a couple psi higher, could be just dumb luck.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I worked on an old 6.9 truck that had been converted to a remote 1515 (regular ford gasser filter). It had been that way for 200k with no problems, but I would never recomend such a set up.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black dawg, do you know is the oil filter for the 6.9 the same as the 7.3. I haven't compared or looked them up, just wondering.

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
yall should just use the FL-1995 Filter its motorcraft and is a powerstroke filter, it will work on either the 6.9 or 7.3 and it will add like another 1/2 qt of fluid

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trapper
You mean on my 7.3 when I change oil I'll be puttin in 12 1/2 qts instead of 12.
I'm using wix filters right now.
Is the FL1995 little longer??

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are right about the 10 qts, I was thinking of something else and typing at the same time.:bail
But that does remind me of something I need to check. When I replaced my intake "gasket" while back I had a little problem getting the dipstick tube fully seated after the exhaust manifold went on. If I remember right the wheel well and frame rail like to get in the way from a clear view. Thanks guys.

Worked on the dipstick problem, the tube was seated all the way, but had a small hole in it about halfway up. Nothing some JB weld cant handle.:sly

Last edited: