Diesel Leak,Oil Leak,Scary Sound.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the new one did not come with a spring so i took it as the new one did not need it. I still have that spring. Will that fix my problem? wow i feel dumb. I had the tranny out and there was oil all over the bellhousing inside. But how would the oil drip down from the top is my question. Also is the engine not getting oil since its leaking that bad from the rear main? Im going to pay the guy that I know to put that spring on if you say thats the problem. Also I do not know where the fuel leak could be coming from. reply back if the spring is the problem. thanks for your help

The spring is not external, but a part of the seal, see here for the design of the normal rear main seal. The spring is recessed around the rubber on the inside, but if you just poke that sucker on the metal dry, the rubber grabs and folds inside out and you can easily see how that spring would walk right off of there and wrap itself around the crank.

There are some rubber seals made without springs, but there are not often used in engines. Those are generally used in zero pressure applications where splash is the only concern, not where crankcase blowby gas pressures are to be delt with or the thing would be making fart noises on every piston downstroke.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, if the oil is coming from the upper rear of engine/tranny, I think you need to look of a leak at the turbo or its oil supply/return. The "weird noise" you are hearing could be an oil starved turbo!:eek: The fuel is likely a return line or cap that was boogered during the rear main removal/replacement.

Heath