Diesel Leak,Oil Leak,Scary Sound.

fordboy324

Reaction score
After Changing my oil about two weeks ago my truck started to drip oil from the top of the tranny somewhere and leak down. I replaced the rear main seal, got the truck started only to hear what sounded like a knock in the motor, worse oil leak than before and now theres diesel fuel leaking. Anyone know where the oil leak could be coming from? Also fuel leak...WHERE? Now the sound ive been told is because my injector is flat lining because of the lucas oil stablizer ( non synthetic) i put in it. Sound right? I Have aftermarket injectors so ive been told these are sensitive to that lucas crap. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Changing my oil about two weeks ago my truck started to drip oil from the top of the tranny somewhere and leak down. I replaced the rear main seal, got the truck started only to hear what sounded like a knock in the motor, worse oil leak than before and now theres diesel fuel leaking. Anyone know where the oil leak could be coming from? Also fuel leak...WHERE? Now the sound ive been told is because my injector is flat lining because of the lucas oil stablizer ( non synthetic) i put in it. Sound right? I Have aftermarket injectors so ive been told these are sensitive to that lucas crap. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oil from the back of the motor could be from your turbo or your turbo oil feed line running up the back of the motor to the turbo. The fuel could be anywhere along the return lines, filter, or IP You'll have to search both of them out.

I have no ideal how Lucas oil stabilzer will have any effect on your injectors. The never see any engine oil as there is no fuction for them to or need or provision for them to.:dunno PSD injector do, but not on an IDI. What is "flat lining"? You mean a bad/dead injector?

Anyway, If this started after doing the rear main seal, then there may have been something that happend with it's removal/replacment that has caused this.

Clean off all the oil and fuel you can and see if you can track it down. Does the extra oil leaking smell like diesel? It only takes a little oil to make fuel look really dark like it is oil if that makes any sence.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup, as Heath said,check those areas first. Another possibility is that enough sealant ecsaped at the cover plate to oil pan mating surface. There's plenty of space for oil to dump out there and at capacity, there's enough oil to make it over the top of that area causing major exxon valdes issues.

Got anybody close by that can pop test the injectors?
If not, try cracking open each injector one to a time and see if the noise changes. The one that doesn't cause any change will more than likely be the culprit.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you maybe use the Lucas Fuel treatment...?
I've been using Lucas Oil Stabilizer for years and years in everything I own from my Harley, Vette to lawnmower and toaster...never any issues. ;Really
I've never used Lucas Fuel Treatment so I can't comment on that "crap" which I doubt it is:rolleyes:
If something mechanical is going to fail from old age/use/wear etc...it's going to fail.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use lucas oil/fuel treatment for years and I think it is good stuff. Not very good as anti gel but good for lubricity.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you replaced the rear main seal
a) how did you slip the new seal over the end of the crank?
and
b) did you use locktite or sealer of some sort on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts?

fordboy324

Reaction score
When i pulled the flywheel i marked it where it was and put it back in the same place. Ive been told that this matters so i did it.As for loctite or sealant where is that supposed to go? I popped the plate off and there was no gasket on the back of the plate so I put one on it and popped the rear main seal out of the plate and put the new one in. Its leaking oil from the top of the transmission...where I dont know. Whats everyones opinion about bring it to ford to look at? everything was put back in the way it came out when I did the rear main. This just stuns me.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When i pulled the flywheel i marked it where it was and put it back in the same place. Ive been told that this matters so i did it.As for loctite or sealant where is that supposed to go? I popped the plate off and there was no gasket on the back of the plate so I put one on it and popped the rear main seal out of the plate and put the new one in. Its leaking oil from the top of the transmission...where I dont know. Whats everyones opinion about bring it to ford to look at? everything was put back in the way it came out when I did the rear main. This just stuns me.

The bolt holes in the crankshaft for the flywheel bolts go straight through to the crankcase and if you don't use locktite or sealer on the threads, oil will seep steadily by the threads and you will have a nice steady oil leak.

Also as far as the seal, when setting it over the crankshaft, if you don't use the ford/international install tool #xyz to prevent the seal lip from folding over, or take a fast food paper drink cup ( Wendy's medium soda is the perfect size at last check :D , cut the lip off and grease it up real good and place it over the end of the crank and then ease the seal over the cup to shoehorn the seal onto the crank without folding the lip, you can wind up with a whopper of an oil leak. Just pushing the seal on is generally a recipe for disaster.

fordboy324

Reaction score
Well I just put the new rear main in there. What happens as far as disaster? I Know someone that will do the rear main for 200$ but that doesnt fix my problem with the diesel leak or the weird noise. Also does the rear main leak from the top of the tranny? I dont think thats where it would be coming from...AHH what a disaster. I myself do not know much but i have friends who think they know everything and we did the rear main. It said on the new one to install dry. Hmm....im at a loss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well I just put the new rear main in there. What happens as far as disaster? I Know someone that will do the rear main for 200$ but that doesnt fix my problem with the diesel leak or the weird noise. Also does the rear main leak from the top of the tranny? I dont think thats where it would be coming from...AHH what a disaster. I myself do not know much but i have friends who think they know everything and we did the rear main. It said on the new one to install dry. Hmm....im at a loss

When it says "install dry" that just means to press fit it in the housing without sealer around it ( it's a mighty tight fit ) You ALWAYS grease the snot out of the rubber and shoehorn the thing on. If you just popped that thing on, and dry to boot, I can just about gaurantee that the lip, folded over. Hopefully the spring is still attached to it and hasn't come apart in a zillion pieces or wrapped itself around the end of the crank.
You may be seeing some oil from the top, but pop the inspection cover and I'll bet you see a whole bunch more. If not , it's a miracle.

fordboy324

Reaction score
the new one did not come with a spring so i took it as the new one did not need it. I still have that spring. Will that fix my problem? wow i feel dumb. I had the tranny out and there was oil all over the bellhousing inside. But how would the oil drip down from the top is my question. Also is the engine not getting oil since its leaking that bad from the rear main? Im going to pay the guy that I know to put that spring on if you say thats the problem. Also I do not know where the fuel leak could be coming from. reply back if the spring is the problem. thanks for your help

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Sounds like a rear main seal to me....I haven't seen one yet that didn't have the spring...**** happens, live and learn....The main thing to get out of this is that you learn something if you did indeed make a mistake.

fordboy324

Reaction score
Yes that was my doing in not puting that spring in. Also not greasing everything was my fault too. Im just going to take it in and have it done right. Im tired of this, I want my truck fixed!

tractorman86

Reaction score
fuel is probably the return line on the back of the motor. take the air cleaner off and look back at the oil sender and the return line back there you might have pinched something or hit it and not noticed it