dies when letting up off the throttle

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i remember reading about this somewhere but the search came up negative. sometimes when i let up off the throttle all the way in a low gear, it will die. the only instance was today when i was backing up fast and stopped...then it went down to 300 rpms, and just died. all to fast for me to notice anything else.

any ideas??

oregon-mike

Reaction score
What I remember hearing about that symptom is lube for your fuel system. Add some biodiesel, some powerkleen, a quart of ATF, something to lube up your fuel . I don't remember what it is that is the problem, just the fix for it. Somebody will be along shortly with the technical reason why you need the lube I'm sure.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugged filter, bad fuel, bad IP or underrunning governor in the IP. I'd change the fuel filter and feed it some good fuel additive and fresh diesel before I would worry about anything worse.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly your metering valve is sticking/wearing out. I had a similar problem with my IP. I gave it a good dose of Power Service lube and it was a bandaid. I got another 3 or 4 thousand miles out of it. But, soon the weephole was leaking like crazy and I called it quits and got a new (read DPS modified) IP. You can get it to stop doing that with lube as suggested above, but its just a matter of time..........at least in my experience...........before you'll need an IP.

Heath

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Heath is correct.

That comes from a metering valve sticking - an good ole dose of fuel lube should take care of it. You will have to start using a fuel lube from this point forward because with the lower and ultra low sulfer diesel fuels on the market you will need the addt'l lube to keep things going good.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
thanks guys, thats what i was think and dreading at the same time. it did it today to me again, but under a controlled environment...parked, and idling. i reved it up to 1500, and suddenly got off it, and it dropped to 200, managed to get back up to normal idle but it would have shut off if i did it again.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You would be rebuilding the injection pump and then you might have the same problem - reason the fuels today don't lube as well.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
good point...well she's pretty much going to be driven till it dont work no more. then ill have an excuse to take a couple days off from work to fix it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online