Did I get the wrong starter relay?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont jump big posts to test relay...that BYPASSES relay...it also runs a Gazzillion AMPS through what ever you are jumping with.

Ppwer goes To the small post that the wire connects too...it is safe to jump to that small post and + feed side of solenoid...this the low current method and actuates solenoid correctly for testing.

Do you have tilt steering? If so and even if you dont...try pressing upwards on steering wheel whilst turning key....see if works?

Also is it manual or auto?

Fill in sig so we know details always ....please.

If 5sp and clutch interlock not correctly functiong it could cause similar symptoms....same if N safety switch not aligned correctly for an auto.

Rod to switch on column cojld need adjjstment too......

So next time no fire by key...ensure in N for std...or park for auto..key on run go jump solenoid as described by lil post to batt feed side...see if fires...if so problem is prior to that location.

JM7.3CW Eh!

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont jump big posts to test relay...that BYPASSES relay...it also runs a Gazzillion AMPS through what ever you are jumping with.

Ppwer goes To the small post that the wire connects too...it is safe to jump to that small post and + feed side of solenoid...this the low current method and actuates solenoid correctly for testing.

Do you have tilt steering? If so and even if you dont...try pressing upwards on steering wheel whilst turning key....see if works?

Also is it manual or auto?

Fill in sig so we know details always ....please.

If 5sp and clutch interlock not correctly functiong it could cause similar symptoms....same if N safety switch not aligned correctly for an auto.

Rod to switch on column cojld need adjjstment too......

So next time no fire by key...ensure in N for std...or park for auto..key on run go jump solenoid as described by lil post to batt feed side...see if fires...if so problem is prior to that location.

JM7.3CW Eh!
My sig is filled out and it's showing up in my posts on my screen. Weird. Anyone else having the same issue?

Anyways, the truck has an E4OD and tilt steering. I'll try what you suggested tomorrow morning if it doesn't start, thanks for the tips!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like most electronics, they are either dead or not.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried some things this morning. First attempt to start the truck with the key failed, I tried moving the steering column, jiggling the ignition switch, and tried putting it in neutral, nothing worked.

I jumped the small post to the big post and it started right up. Then I shut it off and tried again with the key, and it decided to work.

Looks like the relay is good, the problem is somewhere between the relay and the ignition switch. Finding this is gonna be fuuuuuun.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
92 tilt less likely to have issue with the pushing up on the wheel issue thats 91 down.

Sounds like your work is cut out for ya!

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
push button start! with a hidden kill switch of course.

Or you could mad max it and set a few toggles and they have to be in the right order to fire up

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried some things this morning. First attempt to start the truck with the key failed, I tried moving the steering column, jiggling the ignition switch, and tried putting it in neutral, nothing worked.

I jumped the small post to the big post and it started right up. Then I shut it off and tried again with the key, and it decided to work.

Looks like the relay is good, the problem is somewhere between the relay and the ignition switch. Finding this is gonna be fuuuuuun.
make absolutely sure that damned alarm system of yours isn't ******* with you.-cuss-cuss

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make absolutely sure that damned alarm system of yours isn't ******* with you.-cuss-cuss
I need to do some reading up on how the alarm works, because I am leaning in that direction. This all started immediately after the hydroboost swap, changing out the pedals was a fight and I'm worried that I might've disturbed a wire or two.

My truck does have a switch that disables the ignition, not sure if that's part of the alarm system or something the PO made. I've tried both positions on the switch and it doesn't make a difference. Sometimes turning the key works, sometimes it behaves as if the switch is flipped. No idea if this actually has anything to do with the problem or not, I haven't done any more troubleshooting yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple and not the alarm. I get the feeling that I'll be getting a crash course in wiring 101 real soon though...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Honestly best thing to do is start from scratch.
Put it all back to stock. Get it working. Then if you still want the alarm, install it correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread...I need to replace my Relay and only the 4-post Relays are being sold.
So...to be clear, the new 4-post mounts the same way as the OE 3-post Relay...just don't use the 'bottom' terminal, correct?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just gonna bump this instead of making a new thread. The new relay worked perfect for the first few days, but now it's acting up. When you turn the key, sometimes the truck cranks like normal and other times you turn the key and nothing happens (other than the gauge cluster turning off, stereo off, etc), no relay click or anything. When I jump the two big posts together the truck fires right up, so it's gotta be either the new fender-mounted relay, my ignition switch, or something to do with the POS alarm system (I don't want to think about that nightmare).

I'm pretty sure that the new relay is bad and it's just another bad luck part, but before I waste more time and money, is it possible for a relay to have an intermittent failure like this? Or is it only Dead / Not Dead with these relays?

"When I jump the two big posts together the truck fires right up, so it's gotta be either the new fender-mounted relay, my ignition switch"

The above in bold is my scenario for almost a year...I however DID replace the column mounted Ignition Switch and it still (at times) doesn't start...I then jump the two LARGE terminals on the fender mounted Relay and she spins right over and will continue to start the rest of the day or several days and weeks, until it once again does not. I've noticed usually rainy weather affects the starting issue.
Next, I'll replace the Fender Relay, I believe it's original from when I purchased my truck new in 1987.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use the S post.
Thanks Rick, one last question;
on the replacement 4-terminal Relay will the S-post also be orientated/mounted as the OEM S-terminal...being at the top?
Or, will the "S" post now be at the bottom and would the two large Terminals matter which group of wires are going to them (get my meaning?)

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
S post is marked. Mount it as needed or preferred. Positive cables go to large posts.
Location does not matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online