Diamond Plate mudflaps???

radshooter

Reaction score
Hi guys. I don't post much, but I read this site every day. It is time for mudflaps, and wanted to run some things by y'all.

I had been thinking I wanted heavy rubber mudflaps with the Cummins logo on them, but today I saw a set of diamond plate mudflaps. I got to thinking they might look kind of good with my diamond plate bed rails.

What are the pros and cons of "floppy" mudflaps vs "solid" mudflaps? I am looking for something that will both dress up the truck, and also protect the paint and fiver from rocks while towing. They were at the dealer where I got my oil changed today. I may go back next week and take another look.

Also, the diamond plate rear flaps were rectangular. They did not have the traditional "swoop" cut out of one corner like rubber mud flaps. How would these mount?

What do you guys think? Diamond plate or rubber? Any pics of diamond plate flaps? Where did you Phoenix guys get yours? I need someone to install them since the RV park here won't even let us wash our trucks, much less work on them.

Thanks for your input.........Steve

Whit

Reaction score
You can kinda see my home made checker aluminum ones here, this pic also shows my 19.5x285 tires up against the oem units

Cheers, Kevin

Attachments

• 19.5 wheel.jpg
    19.5 wheel.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 70

MUDDY

Reaction score
hey steve,
kevins flaps and the nwcustom flaps look great and have advantages if ya run biggr tires.my choice if on a srw. however the dually fenders plastic cracks easy and some say the leverage of this kind is just enuff to play heck wit the plastic and crck the fendrs.

when i had my stock bed i used the thick rubber with a weight at the bottom which was plasmaed out w/ 'CUMMINS' on it for loooks. harold b and dennis d also run identicle flaps/weights no probs and the weights keep flaps down less junk hits the 5er. [weights of stainless]thick pliable rubber bttr than alum diamndplate which ont move if object hits. if that happens plastic fndr cracks

hopefully ya get back to idaho like ya was talkin and we can get ya lined up with the weights and get em and the flaps on at the bomb party or b4 which ever way ya decide to go

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I have the old style KW mudflaps which I replicated from these shown below. They do a great job of keeping the rocks etc. off the trailers. The only problem is when off roading, if you back up into a sage brush or a large rock, the rubber gets squeezed in between the obstacle and the tire and the hole thing gets ripped off.-Playme

Attachments

• whitmore1.jpg
    whitmore1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 66

Whit

Reaction score
Tim, I forgot about that pic, man my truck has changed alot since then.........looks like I aint changed much though:eek:

radshooter

Reaction score
Hi Muddy. Thanks for thinking of me again. I wound up getting the diamondplate flaps from the dealer, and they look pretty good with my bedrails.

Unfortunately, it may be a while before we get back to lovely Idaho. We wound up taking a job for my wife in Topeka, KS. I have a line on a job in Nebraska, just across the border. Either way, we will be here until around late May or early June. It actually works out good because now I will be in the neighborhood for my daughter's high school graduation in Hays, KS.

The pull from Phoenix was great. The Cummins purred along without a hiccup. We went from Phoenix north to Flagstaff, then to Albuquerque, up to Colorado Springs, across to Limon Co., then east to Topeka. The trip was more enjoyable due to our new toys....Garmin StreetPilot 2610, and a new Prodigy brake controller for the 16,800 lb fiver.

Take care y'all.

Steve

Timbeaux38

Beer Joint Superstar
Reaction score
You might want to keep you rig out of the woods with the diamindplate. One slip off into a deep rut could cost you a fender-------

MUDDY

Reaction score
the bad deal is any large flap that protects the 5er decently sucks in the hills. ive pulled several rubber ones off. need alum diamndplt on the top half with thick rubber on bottom half w/ quick disconct pins if ya can remember to remove it when ya hit the bad places

glad to hear u trip was good steve. sounds as if ya didnt have to much snow to slow ya dwn

radshooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I don't do any off-roading with the dually. We have a smaller Toyota Tundra for that kind of fun. The only off-roading I see in the future for the dually is if I slide into a ditch in a snowstorm. You may ask why I have 4wd if that is the case. With our jobs, we have to be on call a lot. When a teenager wraps their car around a pole at 2 am in a snowstorm, we have to go to work. I have had to go to work in the middle of the night in a storm I couldn't see 30' if front of the truck. As far as we are concerned, there is no substitute for 4 wheel drive.
Take care y'all
Steve