dialing the MANchero...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that this rig is mostly together,
i really havnt done much with it.
still needs alot of work, i need traction bars, i wanna redo the steering, and things like that.
35 x 12.50's are being picked up on Monday.

so it runs, it drives. but im not very happy with it.
lets give a run down on things ive done, and what this thing is...

the block is a stock 7.3 on head bolts. for now.
(engine swap later down the road)
stock cam, stock valve train.
twin TP 38's with .084 hot sides.
omega moose IP.
Mister Mark II's injectors
holley black fuel pump regulated (kind of) to 14 psi.

i know 14 psi is no bueno. the regulator wont allow me to dial it down. i have another on order.
will that blow a seal in the IP?
i literally just put a gauge on it tonight and found this out.
no fuel leaks.

engine is timed to 8.5*

egt's are unknown, i need to buy thermocouples and install them.
have a dual pyro gauge, thanks to @freebird01 !

the boost gauge i have is garbage. it will read 5 psi @ 2500 rpms, but the hair dryers are spinning pretty good.
new boost gauge on order as well.

ive sprayed soapy water on the charge side and did not detect any leaks.
air filter is a new 6637, but i do have the turbo intakes tied together 3" from turbos, 4" to filter.

she fires up fine on a cold start. minimal white smoke.

my issue is, i have zero overfueling.

i cant get this thing to put out any blackness for the life of me, even off idle, when i have no boost.

the fuel system is fresh as it gets. i have about 30 miles on the thing.

what have i not thought of?

i want to make sure i have every thing covered before i give Mel a call.

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would think it should smoke with that much fuel. are you thinking it just needs more fuel? you could disconnect the charge pipe from the intake and run it a bit to see if it gets to be a smokey pig. just a way to find out if those turbo's are really putting out enough air to use the fuel. if it stayed just as clean then i would lean towards the pump or fuel supply which i dont think you have an issue with.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet build!! How did you run your exhaust manifolds?
build thread in the conversion forum.
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/a-project-i-call-thee-wee-*******.70696/

i would think it should smoke with that much fuel. are you thinking it just needs more fuel? you could disconnect the charge pipe from the intake and run it a bit to see if it gets to be a smokey pig. just a way to find out if those turbo's are really putting out enough air to use the fuel. if it stayed just as clean then i would lean towards the pump or fuel supply which i dont think you have an issue with.

ill do that for S&G!
i know theres not a starvation for incoming fuel pressure..lol
i was thinking i was only getting 2-4 psi, thats why i put the gauge on

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the Omega the one that supposed to run something like 60 PSI is inlet fuel pressure? Or is there one bigger than that? You might not be getting enough fuel INTO the pump with that low of pressure, if it's supposed to be 60......

Nope, that's the super... sorry..... but could you need more than the 14, but not 60?..... Might need to chat with Mel...

The OMEGA Moose Pump - We start our performance offerings with this 130cc Stanadyne DB2 pump, designed for track or off-road applications. This pump is for the unique hobbyist, and is not for use on the street. Individuals interested in this pump know what engine modifications and support equipment are needed to run it. $920.00 with running core.

The SUPER Moose Pump - In the quest to build the most insane IDI on the planet, our customers have requested a "sky is the limit" pump.. The SUPER Moose produces an amazing 205cc of fuel, and meets the needs of individuals interested in competition pulling. Because of this massive fuel flow, larger diameter lines and Moose Mister injectors are required, as is a 60 PSI external electric fuel pump and safety cutoff system. Each pump is built to order. $1650 with running core. This is an off-road only pump, and comes with NO warranty!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you have for fuel filter setup? Even with a flow restriction you should be able to make it smoke.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive got a racor filter head with a napa 5 micron in it.