Diagnosing a bad DMF?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I need a new clutchpack, And I'm also reasonably sure I need a new DMF. There's a member that has the whole Kit and caboodle for sale, but y'all tell me for sure, if I'm right about the DMF being worn out.
Often, when I start it I get this noisy rattling vibration in neutral. I just burp the throttle and it stops.
Also, when taking off in second gear, It rattles and jerks until the clutch is fully engaged.
Is this the DMF?
I'm going to have the thing up on ramps and jackstands doing the clutch cylinders already, so I'm already 1/3 of the way to doing a clutch job anyway.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do my mod to the DMF and save allot of money. Mel and a few others have done it and it works great. The best part is it only cost about $10 to do.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
One of the sounds a worn DMF will make is a "chunka-chunka" when you shut the eng down LOL

And when idling it will sound like a washing machine in spin mode with an out of balance sound.

One possible way to lessen the stress when dealing with a worn DMF is to push in the clutch when shutting down....this advise was given me by Peter Phyfer of South Bend clutch ;Sweet

The actual max play limit is 5/8" and that can be checked by removing the dirt shield and using a long screwdriver to rock the f/w back and forth.....no real measuring device needed as you can see just how much deflection.

One word of caution and some well worn pics of what a DMFW failure can do..... DO NOT neglect a worn DMFW!

Attachments

• case crack-before-1.jpg
    case crack-before-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • after weld-1.jpg
    after weld-1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 8
  • weld-2-.jpg
    weld-2-.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 8

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I may go your route lucky, I'm gonna see if Raw Power still has his clutch pack with a good DMF for sale.
I'm just trying to get the truck in sellable condition so it can go bye bye.

hughjazz

Reaction score
You can do my mod to the DMF and save allot of money. Mel and a few others have done it and it works great. The best part is it only cost about $10 to do.

Does anyone have puctures of this procedure? I read the article, but there is a lot of talk of drilling and bolts, Without ever seeing a dmf before I'm having a hard time folowing along.. Also I am a visual learner cookoo I may try this in the spring. I definitly need to do something soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk