Detroit or Cummins?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do a Cummins swap, we don't need any more Cummins powered fords.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre gonna do a swap, youre more than likely gonna be cutting up most of the truck for this or that.

i love my ford trucks, i really really do. i currently own 5, 6 if you include my sons truck thats in my name.

IMO, if you wanna build something truly BAD@$$, start with a different platform.

build an entire rig/hotrod!

You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things to keep in mind about the Detroit 2 strokes: 1) weight and 2) they all seem to leak. A 671 or 6V71 is going to come in at over 2000 lbs, which is a lot to put in a F250/350 chassis IMHO. I hope the gasket/sealing technology has gotten better, but I hear that it's pretty common to add a quart or two of oil every fuel fill up.

There's a reason everybody does an IDI or Cummins for 3/4 & 1 tons: it's because it makes sense and it's relatively straightforward.

I love weird/uncommon swaps, and ultimately, you gotta do what you want ;Sweet. And by the way: those 2 stroke Detroits don't sound like anything else :love:

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre gonna do a swap, youre more than likely gonna be cutting up most of the truck for this or that.

i love my ford trucks, i really really do. i currently own 5, 6 if you include my sons truck thats in my name.

IMO, if you wanna build something truly BAD@$$, start with a different platform.

build an entire rig/hotrod!

Holy Z Batman!! :shocked:

That thing looks bad ass. It has the right stance. That is a lot of Z though. Wow. I know you'll make it right though.

There are smaller Detroits out there right? My buddy was going to drop one in a scout. Couldn't have been a 2000lb behemoth.

They do have a cool sound and you have to have an air starter!!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a 8V92TA in the 1990. It was a screamer and did not leak more than a drop. It had been in-framed when I got it. I loved that motor but would have liked more torque off idle. I ran a 13 speed tranny with two speed rears. You can get these engines with many different configurations. the first number is the number of cylinders, and the second number, after the 'V', is the cubic inches per cylinder. They had 53, 71, and 92 cubic inches per cylinder. Parts are a hard find, even stock. I had a buddy who put a 4-53 into a older Ford pickup and it was low on power. Go BIG!

Dave

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a 8V92TA in the 1990. It was a screamer and did not leak more than a drop. It had been in-framed when I got it. I loved that motor but would have liked more torque off idle. I ran a 13 speed tranny with two speed rears. You can get these engines with many different configurations. the first number is the number of cylinders, and the second number, after the 'V', is the cubic inches per cylinder. They had 53, 71, and 92 cubic inches per cylinder. Parts are a hard find, even stock. I had a buddy who put a 4-53 into a older Ford pickup and it was low on power. Go BIG!

Dave

I picked the 671 or 6V71 is it's 6 x 71 cubic inches, which is roughly 7 liters: pretty close to an IDI I figured. You're 8V92 was 12 liters, which is class 8 material.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it was, a ten wheel dump truck with a pup trailer.

Dave

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Z Batman!! :shocked:

That thing looks bad ass. It has the right stance. That is a lot of Z though. Wow. I know you'll make it right though.

There are smaller Detroits out there right? My buddy was going to drop one in a scout. Couldn't have been a 2000lb behemoth.

They do have a cool sound and you have to have an air starter!!

He said

Air starter

-Drool

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked the 671 or 6V71 is it's 6 x 71 cubic inches, which is roughly 7 liters: pretty close to an IDI I figured. You're 8V92 was 12 liters, which is class 8 material.
The cubic inches on a 6-71 are close to that of an IDI, but the engine block is still bloody huge. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of how big an inline 6-71 is:

With that having been said, I found this picture many many years ago...unfortunately, it's the only one I have, but it HAS been done (in a '74 F-Series, at least) ;Sweet

I think, in the end, it depends on your ambitions and your fabrication skills. While some claim it's been "overdone", a 6BT swap is not terribly uncommon, and you can get everything you need to make the swap a bolt-in from retail sources. The 6BT is also a good engine (in spite of how the "diesel ricers" are trying to ruin that reputation), and frankly, if I were to do an engine swap, the 6BT would be my first choice. Cummins-powered F-350 crew-cab DRW...sign me up! ;Sweet

A Driptroit would be much more unique and awesome IMHO, but to get anything bigger than a 4-53 in there, you're going to have to do some serious modifications (based on that pic of the 6-71 in the F-Series, you'd need to build a doghouse at minimum; I think a 6V-71 would be too wide without serious modifications to the engine bay), and you're going to need to do some fabrication even for the 4-53.

Either way, should be an awesome project ;Sweet please post updates as you go along!

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score