Detroit or Cummins?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hehe, I will agree with that. Like the choppy turbo whistle. Just sounds like raw power.
Good, so I'm not the only one who thought that :D that actually brings up a question I've always wondered about, though. What about the turbo in that truck (and some other turbos I've heard) makes that "choppy" tea-kettle-esque sound, when other turbos have a smoother whistle? Someone once said something about nicked blades doing it, but I've heard it on fresh turbo rebuilds also. Curious minds want to know :sly ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nicked blades will whistle more.
I think with the ones in the video, it's just a massive turbo. More engine exhaust noise can make it through, and they create a harmonic.
I don't know, just what I was thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with the ones in the video, it's just a massive turbo. More engine exhaust noise can make it through, and they create a harmonic.
That's possible to an extent, but in my observations, it also depends on the turbo. I used to volunteer on a boat that had twin Cummins 1710's. With the original turbos, you heard a smooth whistle...but, after installing rebuilt turbos on one engine, that engine had the "tea kettle" whistle. As far as I know, the turbos were the same models and same specifications; they were just fresh rebuilds instead of the tired ones that were originally on that engine. The other engine still sounded smooth. :dunno

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That was always my thought as well. I remember hearing class A trucks sounding like that under heavy load/hard acceleration.