decided to get back to my roots.......

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
well, I grew up a Ford gas engine guy, and I saw my current daily driver toy sitting outside a guys house for the past 2 years without moving and finally went over and knocked on his door about 2 weeks ago

(pictures will be here soon, windows 7 won't recognize the old camera)

picked up the 1972 F-250 in my sig for $450 from him simply because he had lost the keys and couldn't get the doors unlocked, spent all my free time since I got it getting the thing ready for the road, and now it's like a bat outta hell

got it running, and dumped my entire vehicle budget (and then some) into the engine

got it going with some good gas and a new set of plugs, wires, and points, then the fun began

the guy swore the mileage was accurate (28k on the clock), but I didn't believe him, so I pulled out the 360 to tear down even though it seemed tight

basically no cylinder wear, even had some crosshatches still showing to my surprise, so I got the block steam cleaned and bored .035 over

all new 390 internals including a comp cams Thumpr cam with hydraulic rollers, Performer RPM heads, and Offenhauser 5960 manifold and a Holley 750cfm Dominator HP carb to feed the beast

yeah, the ***** might be fugly, but it'll tear the **** right outta the cars around here LOL

it had a work body on it, but I had to put a homemade flatbed on it for weight, used 4 full sticks of 1x3x1/4" wall steel tube for a frame, and I'm waiting till it's warmer to drop a sheet of 1/4" plate onto it

now to find a way to bolt a ZF-6 up to that 360 (I know it's actually a 429 since it's bored and stroked, but I'm gonna always call it my 360)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
So why do you say it's a 429? even if you have a 390 crank you cannot bore a 360/390 block enough to achieve 429 cubic inches with the 3.78 crank

Forget about a zf6 bolting up.... get a Tko 500 and you've got a 5speed, get a t56 if you just need to have a 6 speed double OD.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
390 Guts in a 360 makes a 360, no more, no less.
Good luck trying to make a ZF6 work, your FE bell is nothing like the mod motor or PSD bell...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I assumed when he said it had 390 internals that meant a crankshaft, rods, pistons.

Still with a 390 crank, the largest overbore would get you to 406 with paper thin walls and not all of them can go that far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online