David 85

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
You said in one of your previous poast that you bult a ranger with a diesel .I have a 4cyl perkins I would like to stick in one , Could you poast any details it might make an intersting thread thanks in advanced;Sweet:thumbsup::hail

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said in one of your previous poast that you bult a ranger with a diesel .I have a 4cyl perkins I would like to stick in one , Could you poast any details it might make an intersting thread thanks in advanced;Sweet:thumbsup::hail

Sorry, but I can't really help very much with that. Ours is the later 2.3L mitsubishi turbo diesel. The naturally aspirated 2.2L is a completely different animal.

Assuming you have the engine that was originally from a ranger (or one identical from another application), you are going to need an adaptor plate to make it bolt up to the transmission. The later turbo diesel used its own bellhousing that bolted on to the manual transmissions, but the earlier N/A diesel had a factory adaptor plate. Cast iron I think.

Both engines are pretty stout, but the perkins is harder to wreck because it has a gear driven valve train and has a cast iron head. I've heard of guys turbocharging them with good results. Fuel economy is good, but they only have about 56Hp from factory and the heavy internals make them sluggish since it is originally a commercial engine. If you look on Utube, there are some diesel ranger videos of both types of diesel ranger.

If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help but most of what I know relates to the 2.3 TD.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the repply , I thought maby you converted agasser . the perkins I have is an industral engine and Im just pipe dreeming:dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the repply , I thought maby you converted agasser . the perkins I have is an industral engine and Im just pipe dreeming:dunno

I did convert a gasser (originally a 2.9 non EGR EFI), but I was pointing out that my engine was a different type so not all of what I know will help you. Is this a 2.2L perkins 4cyl? What year is the engine? In reality you could even fit a cummins 4BT if you wanted so any engine you can physically fit under the hood will work.

I would personally be tempted to go with a mercedes 5 cyl 300TD from the early 80s auto tranny and all simply because of the power those things had.

But seriously, anything you can fit will work as long as you can have an adaptor plate made up or you can fit a transmission that matches the diesel drop in.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
Its a perkins out of a reffigeration unit on a semi trailer , I may have to dig it out of the shed and take the SAE bell housing adapter off and see what will fit for a tranny. ;Sweet

Reaction score
Good SDay Sir,

Sorry that I can't help you w/ the Perkins, but i do have a 87 F250 6.9 , rebuilt, 14K miles . I would like to turbo mine but looking for used kit. Do you have any comments on that subject and how is your 6.9 going ? Do you intend to upgrade into a later model any time in the future ?

let me know, Gordon in Dallas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online