Daul mass flywheel to solid, what clutch to get???

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my broke engine is out on the floor and my daul mass flywheel has about an inch of play so I figure I might as well bolt it up into a solid and buy one of those clutches with the springs in it. What clutch should I get and where would I get it? The one I have in there now only has 8k miles on it and was from advance auto parts but it doesn't have the springs in it.

Thanks,

-Rob

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on just bolting mine up into a solid since I'm on the college budget. Did you get your clutch plate at nappa? What clutch was it?

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider the lucky mod! Still a viable way to go if you ask me.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with the lucky mod you still have to buy a clutch disc and pressure plate.

For $450 you can get the whole SMF kit from NAPA.

I pull a 14,000 pound fiver with mine, even in reverse she is smoooooooth pulling so far.

Got to watch some of the cheap NAPA crap but the kit has worked good for me.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing is I put the 5 speed in about 8k miles ago, shouldn't the pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing still be good? If its ok to reuse those parts I'd like to just buy a clutch disc. Is that a bad idea?

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with the lucky mod you still have to buy a clutch disc and pressure plate.

For $450 you can get the whole SMF kit from NAPA.

I pull a 14,000 pound fiver with mine, even in reverse she is smoooooooth pulling so far.

Got to watch some of the cheap NAPA crap but the kit has worked good for me.

No need for a presure plate change. You can use the stock one. I'm not even sure you could convince me the disc with the springs is a requirement. My lucky mod cost about $5, and has been running for 3 years with no problems. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than $450.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a LUK clutch in my truck, it chatters a little with the 3.55's where it used to chatter less with the 4.10's but ever since I "burned the clutch" in hauling 3 different trucks on a car trailer in 2 days it's been much smoother. It was used, it came with the used $450 SMF/ZF I bought but it had lots of wear left and me being a cheap SOB I figured I'd get my moneys worth out of it.:D

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need for a presure plate change. You can use the stock one. I'm not even sure you could convince me the disc with the springs is a requirement. My lucky mod cost about $5, and has been running for 3 years with no problems. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than $450.

You runnin a SOLID hub disk with a Lucky Mod, Mel? Bet that "hooks up" with a solid snap....

[email protected]

Reaction score
We just put a LUK SMF flywheel in my 88, and while it works very well, there is very noticable gear noise when starting out. I don't like it, and frankly I wish we put the DMF in. Too late now. As Cheaper Jeeper suggested, I put in two gallons or 15W50 Mobile one, which is twice as much as you should. It did quiet it down 90%, but I have to think there was a reason Ford put all that extra money and design into the DMF in the first place.

I did call up LUK and asked ***, and they were a bit rude telling me not to worry about it, just "drive around it". Which I can do, but that means more gas peddle, less clutch when starting out to keep the revs up higher and smooth it out.

just my 2 pennies.

Wayne

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You runnin a SOLID hub disk with a Lucky Mod, Mel? Bet that "hooks up" with a solid snap....

Can't say I am, as my factory disc had springs and I simply re-used it. But when it needs swapped out, I won't be afraid to try one without it. The springs are only going to soften the vibrations some if they do anything at all. I seriously doubt I'd feel a difference during engagement, and the lucky mod or any solid flywheel is going to make plenty of noise in that ZF behind it. Different lubes and higher fill levels help that problem.