Dana 60 Troubles

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back with more questions. I have been driving my truck lately and was pretty convinced the front drivers hub was going out. Lifted the truck up, and yup, about 1/2" of play in the wheel w/o load on it. Took of the wheel and Brake Caliper, then loosened the cover with the 6 torx bolts and managed to keep all the parts together, went and removed the keeper ring that holds the large spring in, but then couldn't figure out where to go next! I have looked high and low for a post on this site along with others and can't find any info or walk-throughs on this process. I would really like to get rid of the auto hubs, but money is kinda tight. Any one have any links that could help, or know people that are selling the conversion and manual hubs?!

Thanks,
Drew

BTW: Truck is a '91 F-350 CrewCab 7.3 IDI w/ E4OD Tranny and Dana 60 Front End...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There should be a snap ring around the axle stub too.
As for cheap manual hubs, hit a junk yard, they have everything to do the swap

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Dana 50s are ur friend! make sure ya have the 4 prong large hub nut socket, 5/32? allen key, a small pick, small screwdriver and snap ring pliers and ur good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the auto to manual hub conversion tonite and hit upon one small snag.
there was no groove for the manual hub snap ring on the axle stub in the center where the auto hub was removed.
those of you who have done the swap, is it a critical item? if left out, how is the axle stub held in place?
first two pics are the manual hubs that were installed.
the last two pics is the auto hub that was removed.

Attachments

• SL373181.JPG
    SL373181.JPG
    855.6 KB · Views: 2
  • SL373183.JPG
    SL373183.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 3
  • SL373203.JPG
    SL373203.JPG
    863.1 KB · Views: 2
  • SL373204.JPG
    SL373204.JPG
    882 KB · Views: 0

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I know people that never put that snap-ring back in and have no problems whatsoever with wheeling and regular use/abuse. You should be fine.