Dana 60 swap questions

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know these questions have been asked a million times before so I apologize,

I was about to get my ball joints done in my D50 when I realized that i might as well just save up $300 more and put in the dana 60 and be done with it. There is a 79 F250 being parted out in my area that has a complete front end for $1000 (craigslist link below) Will the dana 60 out of that truck bolt directly up to my 92 the way a newer dana 60 would or am i better off trying to find one out of a newer truck?

What are the pros and cons of king pin front end as opposed to a Ball Joint front end?

Click here for add

Last edited:

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I wanted to know, i shall keep looking for a newer one
thank you sir.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the year model D60 window for the early 90's trucks? I plan on putting one under mine at some point in the future.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kingpins tend to be a bit tougher, but overall their both better then ifs. Grab what you can get for the vest price.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 70's trucks had a 32 inch spring spacing, yours has a 36 inch spacing. Wont work unless you want to do some fab work (alot of fab work) to make it fit. Find a newer dana 60 and then its a bolt in deal.

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The king pins front ends seem to be cheaper to rebuild, are tougher (show me a big rig with ball joints instead of kingpins) and might be easier to find being that they came in older trucks. 1992 was the first year for ball joints.

Thinkin' of goin D60, eh Matt? You will LOVE it!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
While i agree that king pins are tougher but i believe they made more ball joint D60's than kingpin. I've been on the search to convert my 2wd to 4wd, have a IFS front end out of my parts truck but i don't want to convert to IFS 4wd. Most of what i find by me are DRW D60's...

Good luck in your search! Try Car-part.com?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Yea if i buy a DRW D60 i might have to swap the front hubs from the D50 parts truck i have. But i'm not ready to buy an axle yet, still saving up for the OBX front reverse shackle kit to make doing the 2wd to 4wd a little easier. Might be dropping for the ATS turbo gonecrazyi has first. I find more D60's than i do turbos. I just dont know about a non gated turbo.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yea if i buy a DRW D60 i might have to swap the front hubs from the D50 parts truck i have. But i'm not ready to buy an axle yet, still saving up for the OBX front reverse shackle kit to make doing the 2wd to 4wd a little easier. Might be dropping for the ATS turbo gonecrazyi has first. I find more D60's than i do turbos. I just dont know about a non gated turbo.

I wish I had either problem! Finding turbo's or axles....nothing like that is around anymore in my neck of the woods. I do have a ZF'd, D60's F250 now, but it all comes at a price!!

I want to turbo my truck ina way that no one has wanted to do before!!:sly

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
yea i'm eyeing that ats kit in the marketplace right now.

I'd love to have a ZF5. My last F250 had a 460/ZF5 with 4.10's, man could that thing pull. But after a hard day at the shop the last thing i want to do is row gears, i kinda like the stab and steer approach. I found a e4od factory controller and a 4wd e4od trans, but i don't much care for them. Besides if the end of the world comes, i like having the old C6, no electronics. A few years back i broke my leg and ended up selling my 91 7.3 since i couldn't row anymore.

I found a D60 DRW for 800 with 3.55 like whats in the rear of my truck now. I've been keeping an eye out if i happen to find a deal i cant pass up. I know of 4 axles right now, the only turbo i know of is the one listed... just wish it was a gated turbo. Wish i had more money.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its to bad you wernt on a few months ago. I sold a 91 d60 for 650 when the economy was crappy, I needed the money bad though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.