dana 60 spindle removal...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've worked on quite a few 4wd axles in the past, but this one has me stumped. It doesn't help that its a balmy 39deg at 2:30 in the morning either.
anyhow, I have this '93 F350 with a Dana 60 that I am supposed to change out ball joints on tonite. Everything was going well until we got to the spindle. My buddy has been trying since 10pm to get the darn thing to seperate from the knuckle. We even went as far as knocking loose the studs that hold the knuckle/dustshield/spindle together. No such luck. It ain't budging. Any suggestions from anyone? I've had them need a little coaxing in the past, but this one won't move with no amount of kroil and bronze sledge-cuss-cuss-cuss
needless to say, the knuckles took a hit but I didn't feel a thing. I sure I will later when I thaw out.cookoo

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you tried to drive a chisel in between the spindle flange and knuckle?ive had some that were real tough to get off,a 15LB sledge worked nicely.just gotta becareful and dont get the threads or bearing surfaces.there is also an adapter that screws onto the spindle,then you screw a slide hammer(aka morgan knocker)onto and start hammering.could also throw some heat on the knuckle around the spindle flange.

Last edited:

DieselChemist

Reaction score
I had to knock the studs all the way out on my dana 50 then take a 4x4 as a spacer and hit it real hard with a 10 lb sledge and it slowly peeled off. I know they are different but I hope this is of some help

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D 60

I use a air chiesel with a chiesel bit.
The constant hammering tends to do the trick.
Or put the nuts on the spindle and tap them with a block of wood.
Doesnt always work, I have had the nuts crack.
good Luck
John

Bubba

Reaction score
I have used old rotors as spacers to pull the spindle off. Stick a rotor over the spindle, make some large washers, and put the spindle nut on to draw the spindle off. I always use anti-seize when reinstalling and have never had a problem getting them off after the initial time. The first time can be a booger though.
Bubba

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The worst one I ever had was removed by puting a floor jack under the spindle and lifting the truck 1/2 off the jackstand. Once the truck is lifted beat the knuckle with a BFH. This method has never let me down. You are correct in needing more violence!
Good Luck
Ken

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I bought a lead hammer because of what I went through with my spindles. I ended up taping pieces of aluminum threshold to the spindle and using a sledge. And Ken's method ;Sweet
James

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst one I ever had was removed by puting a floor jack under the spindle and lifting the truck 1/2 off the jackstand. Once the truck is lifted beat the knuckle with a BFH. This method has never let me down. You are correct in needing more violence!
Good Luck
Ken
Ken-
that suggestion is the ******:D:D:D
that worked like a charm:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I did do a bottle jack on the non-bearing surface on the spindle tho.
here's pics....no that's not me in the pics. the bubba lookin' dude is "tanker Tom"

Attachments

• 21-01-07_1636.jpg
    21-01-07_1636.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 21-01-07_1638.jpg
    21-01-07_1638.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 51

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Ken-
that suggestion is the ******:D:D:D
that worked like a charm:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I did do a bottle jack on the non-bearing surface on the spindle tho.
here's pics....no that's not me in the pics. the bubba lookin' dude is "tanker Tom"

LOL Glad ya got it off. Those things can get stuck on something fierce. Put a little anti seize on it after you clean it up and it will never do it again.
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7