Dana 60 gearing 3.55 vs 4.10

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
How is the 3.73 with posi for towing?
Not sure about the IDIs but they are awesome on the Powerstrokes. A set of 3.73 gears has a good mix of highway & towing. If your pulling, hauling, or running larger tires you'll want 4.10s. I run 265/75/16"rim tires & get about 16mpg avg. driving country roads & light to mild city. In town I turn the OD off because the speed limit is 35mph in town & if I feather the throttle it will go into OD at 35mph. So I run it in 3rd gear & don't have an issue. I pulled a trailer with mine a few weeks ago & noticed the trailer more empty than when it was loaded. Same thing with a big load in the back, you really don't notice it. Your towing mpg won't drop as much with 4.10s either because the engine isn't working as hard.
If the truck in question won't be pulling trailers or hauling alot of weight then 3.55 would be just fine. But if the said truck will be used for work then go for a set of 4.10s, if you have OD & don't go on the highway all of the time they arn't too bad.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
Not sure about the IDIs but they are awesome on the Powerstrokes. A set of 3.73 gears has a good mix of highway & towing. If your pulling, hauling, or running larger tires you'll want 4.10s. I run 265/75/16"rim tires & get about 16mpg avg. driving country roads & light to mild city. In town I turn the OD off because the speed limit is 35mph in town & if I feather the throttle it will go into OD at 35mph. So I run it in 3rd gear & don't have an issue. I pulled a trailer with mine a few weeks ago & noticed the trailer more empty than when it was loaded. Same thing with a big load in the back, you really don't notice it. Your towing mpg won't drop as much with 4.10s either because the engine isn't working as hard.
If the truck in question won't be pulling trailers or hauling alot of weight then 3.55 would be just fine. But if the said truck will be used for work then go for a set of 4.10s, if you have OD & don't go on the highway all of the time they arn't too bad.

I do tow my bobcat sometimes but not all the time, I'm putting big red in the shop tomorrow for a new set of 3.73's and a posi rear. When I bought the truck it had 3.08's in it. With these in there it is an old dog, it does good to climb a hill :mad: I hope these work fo me and from what everyone tells me they should, I just installed a sidewinder turbo, this should be a good ballance I hope :dunno It has the ZD 5 speed manual tranny so I think it will be fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Staff online