Dana 60 Front End Rebuild Costs

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all....so the truck in my sig basically needs a complete front end rebuild. Anything that can wear, is worn lol.

So I had my truck at the mechanic yesterday for a different reason, and he quoted me the following

Parts:
All tie-rods
Ball-joints
Inner-axle U-joints
Steering shock

So I guess basically everything but the wheel bearings and steering gear itself?

Total parts cost: $1300-1400

Labor: $8-900

Total parts and labor: $2200-2300

OK now I'd like y'all to chime in and tell me if this is about right or if it's waaay too much.
What bites is that I could probably do most of this myself with a Haynes manual and some time....the time is what is in short supply right now:mad:

Sorry for the epistle... What do you all think?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did exactly that; made a thread that included prices, part numbers, everything. Lookin for it...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...0-axle-swap-D50-to-D60&highlight=axle+rebuild

When asked (by anyone other than my wife) I say that I put $1000 into it; this includes two new outer axles and one inner. Every wear part and bushing was changed from u-joints to tie rods. My post has the sources (vendors) listed. Save yourself some time and just order what you need! I spent a lot of time shopping.;Really

For your job I would guess around $600 in parts. Get XRF ball joints and steering hardware, Spicer U-joints.

Words from my experience:
-there is a specific torque sequence when installing ball joints. Look it up!
- the ball joints come with a couple of grease fittings; don't bother trying to put the 90 degree in, the u-joint (axle) will break it off. Install a close (short) straight one. You will need a right angle grease adapter to grease it (like this http://www.amazon.ca/Lincoln-Lubrication-5883-Slotted-Coupler/dp/B000G76OMA )

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just did this too on a KP 60. Here are some rough numbers because my memory is crap.

$150 in KP kits (bronco graveyard)
$50 in spindle kits (bronco graveyard) This one is sketchy on price, I'm not sure if that was each or for both.
$100 for new axle ujoints spicer (Amazon)
$22 for pair of inner axle seals (ebay)
$10 for pinion seal (bronco graveyard)
$5 for a pinion nut (bronco graveyard)
$20 for a pinion bearing (mine was bad Advance)
$10 for a shim kit (needed because of the bearing change).
$100 for lower king pins (amazon I think)
$250 in tie rods I think MOOG. (amazon)
So yea, $600-$800 in parts because I probably forgot something.

mblaney was very helpful. ;Sweet

I got an estimate for a complete rebuild with new ring and pinion and carrier for like $2200 with labor and that was the buddy discount. Depending on your locale, you may not be way out in left field.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just did this too on a KP 60. Here are some rough numbers because my memory is crap.

$150 in KP kits (bronco graveyard)
$50 in spindle kits (bronco graveyard) This one is sketchy on price, I'm not sure if that was each or for both.
$100 for new axle ujoints spicer (Amazon)
$22 for pair of inner axle seals (ebay)
$10 for pinion seal (bronco graveyard)
$5 for a pinion nut (bronco graveyard)
$20 for a pinion bearing (mine was bad Advance)
$10 for a shim kit (needed because of the bearing change).
$100 for lower king pins (amazon I think)
$250 in tie rods I think MOOG. (amazon)
So yea, $600-$800 in parts because I probably forgot something.

mblaney was very helpful. ;Sweet

I got an estimate for a complete rebuild with new ring and pinion and carrier for like $2200 with labor and that was the buddy discount. Depending on your locale, you may not be way out in left field.

Hmmm so either my parts guy is pricing premium parts at a nice mark-up or regular parts at an even nicer mark-up LOL

Hey guys thanks for your time in responding. I may shop around a bit and see if I can find someone else to do it for less...

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mblaney's thread was the best one on a balljoint dana 60 I've seen. He chose the best value parts if you ask me. Not cheap parts, but the best parts at the best prices. Moog isn't what it used to be.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well kicking this one back to the top. Guess I am gonna have this done. Called another mechanic friend of mine whom I trust even more than the first one, and he said he could do it for $1800 to 2000. I just don't have the time right now to mess with it. And hey, the company's paying for it anyway so may as well, right? LOL LOL

Hopefully soon gonna drive like a new one! Well.....close anyway haha

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i purchased ball joints, tie rods drag link and tie rod for 160 bucks.
i purchased u-joints for 80,
and shock i have not done yet.
well, my d-60 has king pins so i checked and greased em'
check my add in the classifieds.
if those are the ball joints you need, there pretty cheap.... nevermind the "made in china" stamp lol

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Ach" as the Germans say.....I think I'll just let him get the parts for me....like I said no time to mess around trying to buy this and that from here and there.....thanks tho

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got this done last week. Truck drives about like it did before. Quite a bit less play in the steering is about the only noticeable difference.

Oh well. I now am officially ready for winter! Don't have to worry about anything going crunch when I give it the torque in 4X4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online