Dana 44 to replace TTB D44?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if a front HP Dana 44 out of a 78-79 F250 would work under my 86 6.9 without a lift? Almost every ball joint/tie rod on my TTB D44 is shot plus I like the simplicity of a solid axle. I don't work the truck hard, and I'm not afraid of cutting and welding.

The hubs/brakes on these axles are a lot bigger than what I have so I have to assume the rest would be as strong if not stronger, but I'm not certain yet :dunno

Let me know what you think ;Sweet

Btw around here (Northern Utah) Ford Dana 60's are $1200+ for a well used one, and that’s quite a bit more than I'd like to spend

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
There have been a couple of threads about this lately, the pumpkin on the 44 will interfere with the crossmember, you might be able to cutt the crossmember or build a new one completely.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, thats the same price for them around here too. We had a kid come up to our house the other day and offer $1400 to buy the front axle out of one of our running F350's. I had to laugh.

I do think what you're talking about has been done before. Most people opt to do the D60 swap though instead.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I guess the $400 I paid for my D60 was a good investment...LOL....I get calls for them all the time because I sell Ford truck parts on Kijiji as a hobby. To me if you are going to do the work then save up for a 60.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I had a d44 hp under my 86 before I swapped it out for a d60. The 44 has narrower spring perches on the axles. You will have to fab up spring mount anyway if your going from a ttb truck. The 44 worked just fine for my truck, though it's not the axle that a d60 is. Good luck.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply's ;Sweet

I found one with my same gear ratio as mine (3.55) in good shape for $100. I think I'll buy it, and see if I can make something work....

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I bought my truck I was actively looking for a D60 to stick under my 78 F250. The cost of the axles I could find were a big part in me deciding to just get a different truck altogether. I would still like to put some good axles under the 78 (convert from 2 to 4 wheel drive) but will probably just wait and find some rockwells instead of paying too much for a D60. Hell, even mogs seem to go for less money.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
even mogs seem to go for less money.

That's so true LOL

I'd probably toss in a TTB 50 if I could find one for a reasonable price--It just seems like trying to polish a **** when it comes to dumping money into the TTB 44....

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Well I went and looked at the axle I was talking about, and it's definately a keeper ;Sweet

It's under an 86 F250 diesel like mine already (so the welding on new spring perches part is already taken care of) and comes with everything I need to swap it right in. I'm pretty excited, and can hopefully post up pics once I start the swap :cool

Thanks again,

Andrew

Morgoon

Reaction score
Well I went and looked at the axle I was talking about, and it's definately a keeper ;Sweet

It's under an 86 F250 diesel like mine already (so the welding on new spring perches part is already taken care of) and comes with everything I need to swap it right in. I'm pretty excited, and can hopefully post up pics once I start the swap :cool

Thanks again,

Andrew

pics would be great !

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
WOW, thats a score! And I thought I was lucky just finding a trans and axle that were from the same truck that matched my rear ratio. Yours is a much harder match since its all from a different type of vehicle, but yet all the mods are already done to it!