Dad's 86 6.9 starting system issues

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok, if'n y'all remember earlier this year dad got had at the dealership on attempting to repair his GP system on his 86 F-250 S/C 4x2 automatic.

4 of the GP's replaced and it looks like the solenoid on the inner fender was also replaced.

Once he got it back, the WTS light would only stay on for a short time but not 10-12 second delay.

Still started hard even afterwards.

Now the WTS light doesn't come on at all and I can't hear any clicking at all when he hits the key to cycle the GP's. I can't see any loose or unconnected grounds and didn't have my multimeter with me at the time.

No start of course unless he plugs it in for a few hours and he will not use ether to cheat start it. (Just gotta know my dad).

He's been PB'ing the snot out of the GP's for the last month and they look like they are ready to get a socket on em as I plan to change out all 8 this weekend hopefully getting the 4 factory ones out.(Crossed fingers)

I'm sure the only good ones were prolly fried after the dealership made a hack attempt to fix it.cookoo

I ran the idea past him tonight about changing over to the 7.3 system and he said no. He wants to keep it factory.

I don't blame him either as the truck only has 70 k on it and he's the original owner. Just razzing him I told him that it wouldn't go to a dealership again after the last ordeal.;Sweet

My 6.9 GP system knowledge is a little weak and am looking for some pointers and troubleshooting tips from you 6.9 guys.:hail

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Hey Ron!
I think that I would try a little harder to convince him to do the 7.3 conversion! Mine wasn't that difficult and it's still good after all this time.
BTW: I found a 7.3 with extremely low miles for $500.00.... Trying to work out a deal to go after it! I don't think that this is the final option, but I think this will help get dog a newer breath of life for the time being!
Hopefully we can hook up real soon! I would like to meet up with you and Darrin somewhere like TR or something sometime for a visit or maybe you guys might have an idea too!
See Ya! Hoss.... Ike.... ;Sweet

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Sounds like two things - the controller in the head stuck (it's bimetallic :rolleyes: ) and fried the plugs. With no working plugs, the relay won't be turned on. Try jumping the relay to insure that it still works, but it sounds like your dad had less than 8 working plugs shortly after it left the dealer or the controller was *****. Controller has a gnd wire in the back of dirver's side head, could try cleaning that up upon replacement of controller.
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. The 6.9 glow plug controller is simpler than the 7.3, and you can pull the purple wire off the fender relay and put 12 volts to it while you count to 10 and if the plugs are good, it will start. There were 3 different schematics for the 6.9 system, depending on the year. The 83' actually used a voltage reference from the alternator to determine that the engine was running, and used that to figure out how to cycle the plugs. The 86 was the last version, and I think those are the schematics that I have in the Moose Truck album. In all 3 versions, the wait to start lamp behaved differently.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Great, thanks guys....Just what I need to get going for a good Friday night wrenchin session.:backoff

I'm gonna start with the purple wire.......Or is it the blue pill?LOL

Gonna have to get him up and running quick cause he needs the truck Saturday afternoon for wood hauling.

Hoss6.9 said:
I think that I would try a little harder to convince him to do the 7.3 conversion! Mine wasn't that difficult and it's still good after all this time.
BTW: I found a 7.3 with extremely low miles for $500.00.... Trying to work out a deal to go after it! I don't think that this is the final option, but I think this will help get dog a newer breath of life for the time being!
Hopefully we can hook up real soon! I would like to meet up with you and Darrin somewhere like TR or something sometime for a visit or maybe you guys might have an idea too!

Ike no chance of that happening on the 7.3 swap. He wants to keep it as a 6.9 system.
Hey take that truck up for that price. Heck I got one of them too.... I still laugh as I pass by the guys house every morning.......Muuuhhhaaahhhhaaaa!:D

TR would be good. Plenty of git together places there. Heck they even have a Meijer parking lot that has been good for doin parts shuttles.:D

I'm game.;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well the operation was a success.:thumbsup:
I ran the test light across the GP's first to see how bad things were. 5 of the 8 failed right off the bat and the remaining 3 provided a weak test light.

I was able to get the 3 yes 3 GPs out with ease as they were the only ones that the dealership replaced that I found which were burned out Beru's. cookoo

The remaining 5 came out with a bit more difficulty, but a few good prayers, a skinned knuckle and a now leaky return cap, I got them out.

As you might wonder what they were????? Autolites and Champions.:puke:
2 which were swollen almost to the point of no return on extraction.....Talk about a close one.

Well after that I replaced the solenoid as it was still not working the WTS light.....Still nothing.:confused:
OK, lets try the controller.....Hmmm wait 10 minutes before cycling this controller if the GP's are connected....Cool got it in and cleaned up the coolant after the swap.......
Jeopardy theme song passes and I hit the key........WOOHOO there be light.:D

Let it cycle, set the CIA and VAROOOM! , she fired right up quicker than she has in a long time dad said.........

As I closed the truck door I could see a slight grin appearing on his face......

Of course my response was........Ya know, next, we could get a pyro and I could turn that pump up a bit for ya.:popcorn

He kinda chuckled and said you think?::shocked:

Folks, I do believe he got the bug last night setting there listening to his Big Blue and Goldie filling up the night air with the D perfume.;Sweet

He did want me to express his thanks to those who helped contribute to the cause as he was very grateful as to spend $200 instead of $900 at the dealership and got the same quality parts.:hail

AND that the PB hose down did work as I think he could be their next spokes person.......
That stuff smells like crap but man does it do the trick!
LOL