D60 VS 10.25

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ironman03R said:
Why are the chassis cab dual rears narower than the pickup dual rears? I would think that a wider rear stance on a box truck would be more stable.

Easier to fit DRW on and keep narrow. That was the biggest problem I had when swapping 85 F350 cab and chassis axles to my 87. The frame on the 85 was around 34" OD while the 87 was about 37 1/2". Had to move spring perches and then the factory DRW's would not clear the leaf springs. So I had to go with adapters.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
My 2 cents. Ford corporates have a bad seal design. When they first came out the seal changed 4 times. I had alot of brake jobs come back with a seal leak. Got to the point where I never pulled the hub anymore, so i could not inspect bearings then. The last time I changed a bad seal it was 90 bucks and a dealer item only. It was a seal and a bearing. Not sure what they do now but that just seems nuts to me. Another factor. The axel on the 10.25 is larger in diameter but more brittle. We ran pull trucks for about 15 years and the 10.25 axels when they broke, left several pieces and were not clean breaks. The Danas would twist and when they broke they sheered clean. In fact we used to paint a line on the dana axels and check them often. One time I had a axel with a full twist and it was not broken. I junked it but the point is made.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
magoo-
are you comparing the dana 60 or the dana70 to the 10.25? I will second the toughness about the 70 and even more so on the 80. the 60 I do like but consider it a little to light for rearend duty.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
towcat said:
magoo-
are you comparing the dana 60 or the dana70 to the 10.25? I will second the toughness about the 70 and even more so on the 80. the 60 I do like but consider it a little to light for rearend duty.

Yea, the 60. 70 is even better. I never ran the 70 in the pullers but put one in my old 79 CC. At the risk of getting boo'ed outa here, I switched to the GM 14 bolt. By far the most durable and least expensive rear end "I" ever used. Never broke an axel with those boys and the lockers were dirt cheap. Gotta love a drop in too. Sorry.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
I rebuilt a Dana 80 a few years ago and as I remember there were stuff interchangable with the 70. I have a set of axels, carrier, side gears and R&P here. Trying to chase down a bad vibration. Thats a long story for another thread but seems like some of it was the same as the 70.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online