D60 kingpin repair parts and special tools

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well guys i need some help ive never worked on a d60 king pin front axle
first what special tools am i going to need
2nd does anybody have a parts break down
as you can see from the pics a u-joint cup has fallen out from the inner axle shaft passenger side im afraid that im going to half to replace it :puke:
here is what i think im going to need both sides of course anybody feel free to tell me that im stupid and ignorant if im wrong
2 inner axle seals
2 u-joints
2 outter hub seals
possibly passenger side axle
what special tools am i going to need i dont have deep pockets but im willing to buy to proper tools to do the job matco snap-off ive got my accounts
thanks guys
oh by the way
7.3 ats turbo 093 straight piped 5spd if anybody was wondering :thumbsup:

Attachments

• me 001_resize.jpg
    me 001_resize.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 5
  • me 004_resize.jpg
    me 004_resize.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 3
  • me 002_resize.jpg
    me 002_resize.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 19
  • me 003_resize.jpg
    me 003_resize.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 17

sassyrel

Reaction score
i may have that piece of the axle--have to look-- went back and looked closer at your pic--the piece of the cap is still in there--just replace the ujoint--

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call randys ring and pinion for all your parts, they will be cheaper and very good quality. Talk to Chad and tell him Russ at import trans said to call.. You will need a huge allen wrench for the kingpin bolt, 7/8 I believe. I will loan you mine if you want to borrow it. About 30 bucks at the tool store.

Here is a great link for info. Yukon is Randys ring and pinion brand also.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Kingpin/index.html

Last edited:

zpd307

Reaction score
are you doing a total rebuild??? the inner axle seal is only gotten to by taking out the center section. if it is not leaking, why bother. about the only seal you would need would be the wheel bearing seal. since you have to take the hub and spindle off to get at the u-joint, why not clean and regrease your wheel bearings. the only special tool would be the spindle nut for a d60.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
why would i have to pull the center section to replace the inner seals (one leaking)
ive got to get the axles out anyway to replace the u-joints

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seals go in from the inside after the carrier is out.
I offered the allen wrench because it is way outside of the normal tool kit size:D:D

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
The seals go in from the inside after the carrier is out.
I offered the allen wrench because it is way outside of the normal tool kit size:D:D

how would one drive the seal down the axle tube
ya i know thanks for the offer greatly apperciated
so basically its going to be a real pita to do that

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
on the axle it self is there some sort of inner bearing
that passenger side axle shaft that goes to the diff walks around and is sloppy as hell

tractorman86

Reaction score
there should be a bushing of some sort. do you have the socket for the spindle nut? if it's the same as the D50(IIRC it is) i'll sent you mine. did you buy that truck?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
there should be a bushing of some sort. do you have the socket for the spindle nut? if it's the same as the D50(IIRC it is) i'll sent you mine. did you buy that truck?

no dont have the socket but im going to buy one because i might need one another time thanks anyway though
naw i didnt buy it ive been trying to for about 7 years now its my buddies truck sucks he aint selling
his handle on here is golfcartman works on golf carts go figure LOLLOLLOL

zpd307

Reaction score
i dont remember seeing a bushing inside the passenger side tube. i just did all of this last summer. yes, the inner axle seal is driven in from inside the pumpkin, hence the reason needed for taking out the carrier. the inner spindle bearing , u-joint, and wheels bearings are suppose to take out any slack. the spindle nut tool isnt that terribly expensive, you would be better off buying one for yourself. i hope you will be doing the wheel bearings again in the future.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i dont remember seeing a bushing inside the passenger side tube. i just did all of this last summer. yes, the inner axle seal is driven in from inside the pumpkin, hence the reason needed for taking out the carrier. the inner spindle bearing , u-joint, and wheels bearings are suppose to take out any slack. the spindle nut tool isnt that terribly expensive, you would be better off buying one for yourself. i hope you will be doing the wheel bearings again in the future.

how did you drive the outter axle seal in