D-60 It's Here

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Well,

It's in the truck bed instead of under the front end, but its a start.

Came out of an 89 F350 gasser from CT that had been used as a plow truck. Outside is predictably rusty. The axle turns freely and with no perceptable slop (scientific term LOL ). Plan for new bearings(except for carrier bearings if the ring gear is tight), seals, and u joints. My calipers will mate up with the 350 hubs, and are in much better shape--no rust. Tie rod and track bar are prolly rusty toast--the adjusting collars appear to be hopelessly frozen--I don't see PB Blaster getting past that stuff. Planned for tie rod ends anyway. Will renew spring and track bar bushings. Stock or **** bang polyurethane?? :confused:

Manual hubs on it--one ford and one warn.

Have the 350 drive shaft that is significantly shorter than the one on the 250HD and has a double cardan joint on the "axle end". That, I assume, corresponds to the much longer high pinion on the D60 versus the short low pinion D50. Will have a drive line shop look at the dcj--the seal looks worn to me--the u joints all turn freely but they will all get replaced.

The drop on the 350 pitman arm looks identical to what is on my 250HD right now. I will compare them side by side when I swap in a rebuilt steering box--I have about 3-4 inches of steering play with the motor running. After 150K it is ready for the reman shop I suppose.

I will keep posting as I go thru the swap. If I can learn to use our digital camera, I will take some pictures along the way.

Thanks for the inspiration to tackle this! Gonna need a bigger floor jack with more lift and GBFJS's (Great Big Forking Jack Stands) ;Really to hold the frame up off the garage floor when the existing parts start coming out.

Last question is where you guys go for fastener to bolt up parts like the track bar? I want Grade 8 stuff that won't break and I don't know whether to trust what is on the shelf at Lowes/Home Depot. I can get new axle u bolts made up at a drive line shop or thru NAPA.

Thanks for the information and help. Going out to strip off the hubs--beautiful morning north of Atlanta.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The driveshaft was the biggest issue with my D60 swap. The stock F250 shaft will hit the Tranny crossmember.
Click Here
And Here
Once Again

The F350 shaft will correct the problem, but you have to use the t-case yoke off the F350 to make it work.
Poke Here
You can see the F350's crossmember in that pic as well. With that crossmember, I was able to use the stock F250 driveshaft. It is still a little close to the crossmember, I still may need to get the F350 driveshaft on yoke on my rig. The cardan joint attached to the T-case, not the D60 yoke.

Heath

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Heath,

I got a PM from one of our members that did a D60 swap out on his 91 and kept the reverse arch springs in place as I intend to do--at least for this first stage. He was able to shorten his front drive-shaft and go--has not had any problems with the swap--really sort of a drop-in, track bar and all. The 89 F350 that my D60 axle came out of had the same reverse arch springs my truck has.

I think from your pictures--worth a thousand words each, and many thanks--that my existing cross member may have more drop to it than yours does. Time will certainly tell. I will have to get the saddle yolk from my donor truck to mate the 350 drive shaft to my transfer case if I go that direction. I will call those birds tomorrow about that. They were initially reluctant to let it go for some reason.

Thanks for your help.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Heath,

I think that with my lower springs that my drive shaft angle may work with my F250 shaft just shortened up a bit. I will let you know.

Thanks for your pictures. Your rig looks good with the lift. It wouldn't fit in my garage either!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726