Curious IDI owner

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 92 F-250 n/a IDI and I've seen a few people on YouTube advancing their timing a bit on these IDI s...I was wondering if any of y'all have done this and if so is there a noticeable difference in the way the truck runs and behaves?
And also I put an egt monitor in my truck and when I give it all she's got to 70 MPH I'm running about 1100- 1200 degrees. It is completely straight piped. I was wondering if I could turn my fuel up a bit or should I leave it where it is. Thanks yall

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so melting temp of aluminum is 1221°f so a pyrometer aka egt moniter is shooting to 1200 it's a good idea to back out of the juice a bit as far as more fuel what are you looking for I. The truck more power or just smoke and advancing the timing if set properly is not going to help at all what are you trying to do get a little more power out of the truck?

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Alright so melting temp of aluminum is 1221°f so a pyrometer aka egt moniter is shooting to 1200 it's a good idea to back out of the juice a bit as far as more fuel what are you looking for I. The truck more power or just smoke and advancing the timing if set properly is not going to help at all what are you trying to do get a little more power out of the truck?
Yeah I just want a little more power. I was gonna turbo it but that is just so expensive

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Well it has a hypermax air intake on it and straight exhaust but otherwise it's stock.
The guy that owned it before me said that the IP was turned up a little but wasn't sure how much...his mechanic did it

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd look into a cold air intake something that will move a lot of air in for the motor. The n/a is kinda limited in the power you can get out of it I tried a few things with my 86 before I turboed it and seemed like all I could get was black smoke

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Yeah I'd look into a cold air intake something that will move a lot of air in for the motor. The n/a is kinda limited in the power you can get out of it I tried a few things with my 86 before I turboed it and seemed like all I could get was black smoke
Did the turbo make much of a difference?

Rcn1978

Reaction score
Well maybe I will just save my money and go that route

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Stick around and read the tech stickies as well as search for what you're interested in. All the information is here, this is the place to be to learn about IDI diesels. All of your questions have already been answered...

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hypermax on my 86 6.9 I don't have the heads studded but I have a custom tuned injection pump and my exhaust is a 3 inch straight pipe off of the down pipe and it dumps right before the rear wheel I also have the hypermax cowl intake

Rcn1978

Reaction score
I have a hypermax on my 86 6.9 I don't have the heads studded but I have a custom tuned injection pump and my exhaust is a 3 inch straight pipe off of the down pipe and it dumps right before the rear wheel I also have the hypermax cowl intake
How much boost are you pushing

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around town if I mash it in 3rd I can get about 9-10 pulling a good grade loaded I see 14 psi and my egt's stay at about 1000 pulling but I also back out of it to keep them temps down so I don't burn a hole in a piston