cummins turbo

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone had actually used an early cummins turbo on our trucks ? :dunno I have a banks wastegated turbo kit. long story short , I bought a complete kit off of ebay and Fed-Ex damaged the turbo cartridge during shipment. So do I replace the hard to get parts for banks turbo cartridge for $650.00 or will an early cummings turbo such as an HX35 work ,and what mods will need to be made to make it work with the banks kit that I have , such as the downpipe , what mount is the banks turbo and the HX35 , both T3 or T4. I 'am getting my truck back from the body shop soon and would like to have all the parts ready to put the turbo on , possibly also an 7.3 intercoler also at the same time. so if someone has done this or has some guidence i'd appreciate it.:thumbsup:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
If Fed Ex damaged the cartridge pull the cartridge out of the housings, hand it to them (because they will insist on having the damaged item), and make them pay for the new cartridge. Don't screw around with them. Make THEM pay for THEIR MISTAKE! I'm so sick of these shipping companies getting away with this crap. You will never get a cummins turbo to work on the banks setup. Make them buy EVERYTHING you need to make the kit work again.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cummins will pull about 20lbs boost way too much for the motor id get head studs and a lower (10-15psi) wastegate actuator and do it i have one im going to run compound on a motor to see what happens

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think it would be pretty hard for the turbo to be damaged in shipping unless it was apart??
More info please.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Its not impossible Russ. I know from experience. I bought a Forced Performance Big T28 turbo for my eclipse several years ago, had it shipped USPS and when I got it, I could tell it had been dropped because the outlet was actually dented and bent. When I tried spinning the turbine it turned about 1/4" before it ran into the housing. It had been dropped so hard they had damaged the turbine and the compressor housing.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Its not impossible Russ. I know from experience. I bought a Forced Performance Big T28 turbo for my eclipse several years ago, had it shipped USPS and when I got it, I could tell it had been dropped because the outlet was actually dented and bent. When I tried spinning the turbine it turned about 1/4" before it ran into the housing. It had been dropped so hard they had damaged the turbine and the compressor housing.

Did it fall out of the plane? It kind of makes you wonder about sending stuff through the mail. I'd go for the insurance on big ticket items like a turbo or injectors in a heartbeat.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep the shipping company is on the hook so I would go that route no matter what. Even if you decide not to use that turbo, you can sell a complete working turbo for much more than one that requires some assembly.

I would bet that with HX35 you would see increased lag time but more than likely better egt control because if I'm not mistaken the HX35 is larger.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes much larger its about the size of youre head as the stocker is youre fist

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the seller really packed it poorly . everything was loose in a single box . the turbo only had a couple of wraps of bubble wrap around it . At first when I got the box open I checked to make sure that the turbo was in good shape as the seller listed, and low and behold the turbo shaft would't spin. I dissasembled the turbo and saw the intake wheels impeller fins were bent over but the housing itself was ok , got the large snap ring off to remove the intake housing and saw that the cartridge was cracked almost the whole way around where the snap ring locks the housing to the cartridge. I could tell it was a fresh break because there was no rust present on the area where the break was. My best guess was the box was dropped and the turbo was at the bottom of the box when it happened. Shipping weight was 80lbs. I had thoughtwhen I bid on the turbo the seller had insurace included it the price. But the day after he said that he was going to ship it out he emailed me asking if i wanted insurance:eek:. I t turned out ok though ebay returned my all my money back to me after I filed a complant after i tried to work it out with the seller with no resolve. The kick is that ebay had me send the turbo kit back to the seller on my dime $80.00 but the seller refused delivery and the kit was sent back to me and I got my money back. I then emailed the seller if he wanted me to send the kit back to him again I would but he would have to pay the shipping , and haven't here from him since. So this is where i am at do i get a new cartridge for the turbo or try to fit another turbo like the HX35 or HC1 from a cummings. the reason for another turbo is strickley for parts avalibility. I mean it's rediculus that we can't get parts for this turbo.

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fed-ex shipped the box originally and I returned shipped it UPS through a friend that works there .You should have seen the 80lb. box that traveled coast to coast and back ,when it got back to me , man it was beat to heck and back , and i used a double walled computer box that i had to ship it back in . definaly not treated very good.:eek:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep make them pay if it was their mistake.

Now, an Early cummins turbo (not a HX35) will push 35psi+ I know this personally and the HX-35 which is a 2nd gen turbo (upgrade direct bolt on for 1st gens) will push more and faster.

sootman73

Reaction score
but with the cubic inch difference you wouldn't see numbers like that. remember theres almost 100ci difference in these engines...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, an HX35 has roughly the same size turbine wheel as the turbo on a factory turbo truck, and a very slightly smaller housing, but a bigger compressor wheel (like T04E-sized). If I could find one of those damn things for a decent price anymore, I might be tempted to try one with a lower-boost wastegate.

turbo 4 cylinder guys love the Holset HX35's because they put up big boost numbers (20-25 psi) at good efficiency numbers, and spool up quick. Kinda wondering myself how well they'd work on a IDI.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been too long for a fed ex claim. If the wheel was layed over it was probably that way when the seller sold it. I know it would cost but if you want to ship it to me i can see what is available and maybe see what can also fit, like maybe a 6,5 turbo, just took one apart to see and I like so far.