Cummins 1710's on a boat

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought you guys might enjoy this...my Sea Scout unit had to cruise our old boat home yesterday after a potential buyer backed out after we had brought it up to a drydock so it could be hauled out and inspected. I brought my camera and took these videos, along with countless pictures.

This boat is an 82 foot Point-Class retired USCGC cutter, built in 1963. She's powered by two Cummins VT-1710 twin-turbo V-12 turbo diesels (essentially a 12-cylinder version of the 855/N series), with two 2-71 baby Screamin' Jimmies for generators. She has a wet exhaust system with no mufflers for the main engines (although the gensets have small mufflers), and the mains are rated for 900 shaft horsepower each (although I'm sure they're not putting out nearly that much now!)...and, for anyone in the Bay Area, we were cruising from Richmond to Redwood City.

Enjoy!! ;Sweet I for one can't get enough of the engine exhaust sound :D

Cold idle

Inside the pit at cruising speed

On deck, directly over the engine room and at the transom

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyJ4yJag400"]Standing at the transom cruising along the S.F. waterfront
[/URL]

Standing behind the wheelhouse approaching the San Mateo Bridge

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! All I can really hear in the engine room is the turbos. The exhaust at idle sounds like many other large (locomotive size) engines. Kinda thought the burble was somewhat Alco like.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! All I can really hear in the engine room is the turbos. The exhaust at idle sounds like many other large (locomotive size) engines. Kinda thought the burble was somewhat Alco like.
Yeah, the turbo whine tried to overload the microphone on my camera :shocked: and people wonder why my hearing isn't so good :angel: Actually, the funny thing is, at cruising speed in the engine room, you mostly hear the turbos and the generator, and if you know what to listen for, you can hear the rumble of the mains (although it isn't very audible in the video). This boat makes most of its noise in the exhaust pipes ;Sweet the 95' that we're primarily running now is actually quite a bit quieter...

Re: firing order and numbering, I don't know off the top of my head...IIRC the firing order's cast somewhere on the engine; I'll take a look next time I'm down there...

lady cat

Reaction score
Cold idle ----> ;Sweet:popcorn

Inside the pit at cruising speed ---> :thumbsup: :angel:

On deck, directly over the engine room and at the transom ---> :yell: :angel:

Standing at the transom cruising along the S.F. waterfront ---> ;Sweet :love:

Standing behind the wheelhouse approaching the San Mateo Bridge ----> :thumbsup: :love:
VERY NICE!!!!!!:Thumbs Up:thumbsup:

:thanks: :bail

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
what is redline on these engines?What is the width.....They look VERY narrow.....hmmmm......being as they are the same length as a 855......and the 855 was standard in 800 series military trucks.........No.....Better not think about it....I got enough stuff to last me the next 20 years.......

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for not inviting me on that ride:backoff:backoff:backoff
from the brief views you provided the bay was unusually calm that day.;Sweet
You'll go next time ;Sweet and yes, the bay was as calm as glass on Tuesday!

what is redline on these engines?What is the width.....They look VERY narrow.....hmmmm......being as they are the same length as a 855......and the 855 was standard in 800 series military trucks.........No.....Better not think about it....I got enough stuff to last me the next 20 years.......
I'm not sure what the governor's at. I don't think we've ever pushed her past 600 shaft RPM (which is a little more than 1800 engine RPM), and the pyros are getting uncomfortably high by that point. As to width....FWIW, I don't think the block's any wider than the flywheel cover, and height's about a foot taller because the turbos are located on top instead of on the sides. I would guesstimate that, with the intake manifolds/aftercoolers factored in, maybe 4 1/2 to 5 feet wide?

So, you gonna come buy the boat and let the kudzu eat her up next to the Big-E? ;Poke :rotflmao

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
no...just thinking....I have a 5 ton wrecker.....well rusted out hulk of a wrecker......The military put 250 cummins in them so I know length willl work...I can make a cowl hood to I can make the height work.....Just wonder if width would work.....hmmmm,wonder what a straight piped Truckized version would sound like....Maybe dump the turbos and run it as a 500 cummins(double 250s) with back drop manifolds.........and jakes......Oh to win the lottery....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online