Picked a fight with a 1st gen Cummins.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sister's stock 93 will out pull my brother's 94 - both loaded - like there was no tomorrow. My brother's 94 will pull away empty. The 89-93's were made for working.

My 86 IDI, well, it just pulls, works for a living. I spend more time pulling heavy loads than they do, but know they can out race me anyday. I don't care, I didn't buy a Viper

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always fun to win. Doesn't happen very often though. These are some impressive dyno numbers. The IDI is at the bottom, but at least one showed up. I didn't think I'd see a Ford that far up in the rankings either. Somebody is spending some serious money and taking big chances.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins are a very tough engine. (I don't care for dodge trucks though:puke:)
However, they (1st gen) are SLOW in stock form, and the non-intercooled ones- oh god. You might as well have a chevy 6.2LOL They pull a lot better though, a big load doesn't slow em down like it would the 6.2.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, they (1st gen) are SLOW in stock form, and the non-intercooled ones- oh god.

I will have to disagree with you there, the late 91s (first with intercoolers) had the worst tune of all of the 1st gens. The exhaust housing was too large and the timing was the least advanced. By far, the worst of the 1st gens in stock form. Believe me, I lived itLOL

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I raced my friends first gen on friday night. The only thing he has done to it was a 3200rpm spring and some pump tuning. I got the race on video I'll upload it and post it up.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to disagree with you there, the late 91s (first with intercoolers) had the worst tune of all of the 1st gens. The exhaust housing was too large and the timing was the least advanced. By far, the worst of the 1st gens in stock form. Believe me, I lived itLOL

You may very well be right. None of the 1st gens were exactly Ferrari's;p

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I raced him twice. First time he loaded up his turbo and I took him off the line since I hooked up and he spun, Second time (video) he took off un-spooled and got me right away since I forgot to take it out of Overdrive, Once I got into third i was a truck length behind him but he couldnt pull away from me. I slammed on the brakes to turn around since I knew I wasnt going to be able to catch him at that point.

I apologize for the poor video, maybe i'll get round two filmed properly. I'm gonna take my spare tire and toolbox out of the bed, and maybe take out my drivers side headlight so my ram air is unobstructed then if im feeling eager maybe i'll crank up my fuel a bit more.

click here, i am not sure how to embed videos.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online