Crankcase Vent Repair

noahtillotson

Reaction score
So I recently bought a 1990 f350 with a 7.3 idi and a aftermarket ats turbo.

whoever owned this before me decided to fix the crankcase vent by siliconing the crap out of it. So I need some information on what even it is suppose to look like in the first place and can I get oem parts to fix it?

I also have an issue with the oil dipstick leaking because of the same silicone repair bs and need information on how to repair.

thank you for any insight.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As far as I know, there were two different types of vents that were used with ATS turbos. One style is a plastic hose that goes into your valve cover. I believe that this came with both the 085 and 088 turbos. The other style has a metal tube between two short rubber hoses and it came with the 093 turbos. Here's the only pictures that I have of these. The 093 one only shows the top of it, but I don't have another. The pictures with just the valve cover is the style that I think came with both the 085 and 088.

You must be registered for see images attach

noahtillotson

Reaction score
As far as I know, there were two different types of vents that were used with ATS turbos. One style is a plastic hose that goes into your valve cover. I believe that this came with both the 085 and 088 turbos. The other style has a metal tube between two short rubber hoses and it came with the 093 turbos. Here's the only pictures that I have of these. The 093 one only shows the top of it, but I don't have another. The pictures with just the valve cover is the style that I think came with both the 085 and 088.

I have the first type of vent hose. Is there a rubber grommet that goes between the hose and the cover?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Early (?) ATS 085 deleted the CDR entirely, using a chrome/polished aluminum piece that sticks through a rubber grommet in the valve cover and goes up to the intake (after the air filter, before the turbo) with a rubber hose.

Here's mine, without the rubber hose (I was replacing it). You just just clamps on the hose ends since it goes on hose barbs.

And yes that's how it was designed. The 085 diagram that floats around online shows no CDR:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is there a rubber grommet that goes between the hose and the cover?
No. It's a formed part of the hose. I don't think that they're being made anymore. While Banks is still making parts for even their earliest turbos (for our trucks anyway), ATS isn't from what I know. It wasn't too uncommon to see RTV around this hose even 20 years ago. As you can see in my pictures, this one had some around it.