Crankcase Depression Regulator

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Where can I buy a new one? I suspect mine is bad and causing some of my excessive oil loss and smoke.I do hope the oil leaks on the rear side of my truck are not caused by the CDR valve. Is it true a bad one can cause excessive oil in 7,8 cylinder and lift the heads off the block? How can I tell if its leaking from my heads?

Also would it be possible to use a CDR valve from a PSD or other diesel?

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Navistar (International) has them cheaper than Ford, that's where I bought mine but I don't remember how much it was.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, I'd not buy a cdr yet, but do a compression test to all cyliders. You said you had some real bad blow by. You might have a cracked head, or a blown headgasket, or word out rings.

I'd forget any oil fix product, there just a scam anyway but get to the root of the problem, and get it over with :)

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
International does have them cheaper. If you don't have a dealer handy, www.silverstatefordparts.com will give you a good deal, the part number is in the parts bin section at the beginning of this section

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
IMHO, I'd not buy a cdr yet, but do a compression test to all cyliders. You said you had some real bad blow by. You might have a cracked head, or a blown headgasket, or word out rings.

I'd forget any oil fix product, there just a scam anyway but get to the root of the problem, and get it over with :)

I really wish I could do a compression check, all I have is an el cheapo US General one. Is there any way else besides compression check to check out if I have a blown head gasket, cracked head? I still just hope its stuck rings.

The truck seems like it has a lot of power.

Just have two big problems with the engine which is the big ole oil leak on the back of the motor, still need to figure out where its coming from. The other problem is the blowby.

When I take off the air breather I can see that the CDR valve is spraying oil into the turbo area. Is this normal?

Last edited:

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just have two big problems with the engine which is the big ole oil leak on the back of the motor, still need to figure out where its coming from. The other problem is the blowby.

When I take off the air breather I can see that the CDR valve is spraying oil into the turbo area. Is this normal?

Hey I have the same problem with the CDR, and some have suggested getting rid of the CDR and running a RDT. Oil will cover my intake in about a week if I dont wipe it down. I also want to get rid of the intake box so I can actually see something, but have had nobody comment on that so far....

snowman89

Stack Finatic
Reaction score
Last week I replaced my cdr on my 7.3l because it was smoking and it was leaking oil all over my turbo and bellhousing. When I replaced it the smoke cleared up and the oil leaks disappered. Before you think its the cdr though take off the old one and give it a light shake and see if the spring inside has come loose, then go from there.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
A CDR is very simple-a diaphragm -a spring & a valve seat. Its been a few years so forgive meif I miss a little bit. Basically clean the CDR . next on the outside back of the can there is a tiny hole (this lets atmospheric pressure into the back side of the diaphragm)Pull a vacume through the hole if it holds than the daiphram is ok.Then just visably check the spring and the disk seat.This will tell you what condidion it is in.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cleaned mine a couple times. Each time its been full of oil. Cleaning didn't seem to do anything.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The CDR is not going to fix the root cause of Your problem. Blow By.

As stated, this is a VERY simple device. There is not much that can go wrong with it. If it closes properly (which in real world operation it will NEVER do) then it's working properly.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok new question. The CDR blows out oil vapor into the intake so I get why there is oil in my intake. Why is it getting all over the top of my motor though? Shouldn't it be getting sucked in and burned? There is no visable dripping leak anywhere but oil is everywhere and the CDR is the only place it could be coming from.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
There are 2 seals on the CDR that could be leaking. Valve covers will leak down onto the valley pan. And the valley pan itself could be leaking.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CDR is up on the valve cover being I have a factory turbo. No oil around it just over by the turbo.