cracked valve anyone?

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
found out upon disassembly of my truck that the exhaust valve on cylinder 7 is cracked. 3 little cracks. good thing i listened and stopped driving it. what can cause this? how can i prevent it after rebuilding my heads? picture is below. the little white lines are cracks. thanks to everyone for the help.
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a classic example of driving too many left truns before the engine is warmed up......:popcorn:angel::D Nonestly I can only think that valve is a baddly made issue from the poor quality control when it was made. I have seen burned valves where the material has been burned off and the valve looks like a cake where a piece is missing. You really stopped driving that engine just in the nic of time too. Please don't throw away that vale either. Send it to Conestoga Diesel in Pa. Mel has a museum collection of failures that he shares every rally with others. If cost for shipping is an issue for you I will pay that cost because thats something we want to see happen. Saving that valve is important to the collective.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on paying attention to your truck and stopping it before it stopped more destructively.

Treat yourself to something special, I'd suggest something with bacon in it as they say there's gonna be a shortage next year :eek:

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice....now it's time for a cam, a hot pump, a porting, maybe a turbo if you don't already have one, in that case a bigger turbo...etc etc

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bacon.... I'm in for that... I could eat bacon at every meal all day long... One things for sure.... I would die happy..:eek::D We need an air freshener that smells like cooking bacon... Put that in a redneck truck... Wow...:angel::hail

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bacon.... I'm in for that... I could eat bacon at every meal all day long... One things for sure.... I would die happy..:eek::D We need an air freshener that smells like cooking bacon... Put that in a redneck truck... Wow...:angel::hail

Burn some wvo :sly

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
i was going to keep as a trophy myself, but it think i would like to take it to conestoga diesel myself and see the museum/ share my story.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Dang Gary, Bacon every meal , all day long..... I can just see your girlish figure in about ten years.....:rotflmao

Attachments

• Michilin man.jpg
    Michilin man.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 74

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes Robert... I probably would end up in a double wide wheel chair but I sure would be happy eating bacon. The way I cook the thick strips is amazing. I kick it in the butt on high. Then turn it down till I see tiny little bubbles that look almost like froth. Then it cooks real slow. Tender, Not to crisp... Good with anything. Meaty bacon is the next best thing to driving my rig. Its even better than.....:eek::angel::D

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The busted valve is in good hands.;Sweet I met up with Ryan last night and sold him a rebuilt head that I had from one of my previous engines. I got the old head in exchange just to have. I am very busy, hopefully sometime in the next month I can remove the cracked valve and get it to where Ryan wants it to be. Ryan, if you want it to go to Mel, shipping will be on me, I am assuming you will want to see it out of the head first though, maybe we can catch up again. Good luck with putting your rig back together.;Sweet

idi_man

rookie
Reaction score
we will definitely meet up goose. possibly after i get my rig back together ill drive down so you can see her.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Thats helping each other out for sure. Another reason this forum is the best. We treat each other like family.:thumbsup:

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Thats helping each other out for sure. Another reason this forum is the best. We treat each other like family.:thumbsup:

Like family? you've never had to deal with my mothers side LOL

They'll pass you while you're on the side of the road broke down and out of luck, but they will at least wave as they drive by :backoff

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on paying attention to your truck and stopping it before it stopped more destructively.

Treat yourself to something special, I'd suggest something with bacon in it as they say there's gonna be a shortage next year :eek:

My husband heard that and we have been hoarding bacon!