cracked timing cover at hpop reservoir help

06cumminspower

Reaction score
ok, so long story short just put motor back to gether in truck which is in a 01 superduty, short block out of 97, anyways I wasted the timing cover by putting center part of oil pump in backwards and crank balanced rubbed it into front cover real bad (didn't have dampner printed on this one and I didn't pay attention!) so I find a new timing cover, oil pump, supposedly out of a 02 e350 van, get it all back together and oil is pouring out just under reservoir cover near the thermostat, so pull lid off and is cracked on timing cover, so I am going to attempt to clean it up dremel it out and putty it up first. but my question is am I using the correct reservoir seal? I bought one with the screen in it for super duty but the part number on timing cover is 1823536c1 and the part number on the lid I used is 1831022c97 which was originally out of the 01 truck but looked at the lid off of timing cover donor motor and it was a different number 1831022c96 and had a seal without a screen which I have heard if you use the wrong seal it can crack or possibly could be from overtightening so in the future to avoid cracking is it possible someone could look up and tell me with the part numbers I have should I use the seal with or without a screen? did not pay attention wether it was crack or not before I put it on and didn't know previous history.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search of this forum for timing cover by either me or geonc.

06cumminspower

Reaction score
well I googled part number on timing cover which was told to be off of a 02 e350 ended up being a gen3 (1997) cover and the seal with steel plate and screen must have cracked it. so if I can repair it I at least know what I got and need. but I am still unsure on reservoir cover the one off of donor engine is 1831022c96 and the other is 1831022c97 is there any differences in the lids? and I would assume I should use the same one that came with the timing cover I am using with a non screen seal

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its been so long since ive played with timing covers between the years.over on our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com i have 2 threads about swapping timing covers.search the 94-97 forum over there for a thread by me titled modifying timing cover.all info you need should be in one of thise threads.i figured out how to mod the cover to run a 96-03 hpop on 94.5-95 motors without the oil reservoir draining back.

06cumminspower

Reaction score
holly crap, I looked at your thread and this is all making my head want to explode! didn't know that hpop gaskets were different and pickup tubes and all that! I am guessing from what I understand pickup tubes are fine either way? all I need to know is will the gen 3 (1997) cover and reservoir cover work with 01 pump? I never new there so many little differences in these things I just thought you could take a 17* pump and stick it on any 94-97 psd lol. didn't realize everything was so different! but once again is my superduty hpop, and gasket good with the gen 3 cover and lid with non screen seal? also what is the diference in the superduty lid and the gen 3 lid, any? sorry to not do all the research my self but it just gets a lil overwhelming for me to sift through and understand everything

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the SDs fuel filter housing bolts to the reservoir.the screen is only there ti filter out chunks of crap before it gets to the pump.doesnt really matter if you use the screen or not,just make sure you use the right gasket.the top piece is the same design as 96-97 with the exception of the fuel filter mounting.the timing cover IIRC is identical between 96-7&99-03.

That modification worked flawlessly till i finally scrapped the truck this summer.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the motor out of a 97 right now.i can get you pictures if need to see something.

The hpop gasket will also be the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist