Crack in turbo exhaust side, whats next??

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed this little gift a week ago. :mad:
Haven't been pulling anything that would give high temps, just normal driving.
To get this out I would have to loosen the cab and lift it to pull it out.
Any thoughts or comments are very welcome.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed this little gift a week ago. :mad:
Haven't been pulling anything that would give high temps, just normal driving.
To get this out I would have to loosen the cab and lift it to pull it out.
Any thoughts or comments are very welcome.

You must be registered for see images attach

Too easy. Weld it up. To properly weld cast iron you need to preheat, weld, peen, and postheat.

This is a turbo.

You have your pre and post heat right thurr.

Anyway. Go talk to a professional pipeline welder in your area. Try to look for a retired old fart, they usually hang out at local cafes at the buttcrack of dawn.

Reason I say pipeliner: They're more used to welding cast materials, going to the jobsite, and welding on various things in weird positions.

Basically if you were to come to me, I would have you drive it hard all the way to the shop, shut it down, I'd run an acetylene torch over the crack for a minute or so, burn off any soot, and weld it up. Immediately afterwards, I'd tell you to drive it hard, but gradually ease up until you get to a point where you're driving normally, and after a while of that just sitting idling, and the shut down after a 10 min idle.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on the weld.
What I'm really hoping is the machine shop I know can weld it on the vehicle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off are you sure its cast iron or is it cast sttel. There is a BIG differance. Grind it out first to get the soot and oil out of it. Pre and post heat are important if it cast iron. Driving it hot towing a load wil make it almost hot enough but the gas torch will make it corrct. then driving it hot away will help but its got to be a long slow cool down to not crack. About 100 degrees down per hour is what I feel is correct. To do it right I would remove it. Take it apart. Preheat it and weld it. Then put it in an oven that can maintain heat to 500 degree for higher. Every hour drop the heat 100 degrees till its below 100 degrees.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary, your right with those kind of temps and seals & such would burn up.
I'll talk to my guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7