Correct Type of Anti-Freeze?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Most green formulations are NOT low silicate. There are only a few that I know of that are. Prestone used to make one that used to come in a black bottle, but I just went to their web site, and it doesn't appear that they have that one anymore. In fact, it doesn't appear that the Antifreeze recommended for our vehicles is really around very much anymore in stores, so it may be getting even harder to decide what to buy. A Google search for "low silicate antifreeze" turned up very few.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=8

The link mel posted (Zerex made by valvoline) is what i have access to locally and I have used it without a problem. As mel said it IS labeled as "low-silicate".
I buy it from a local tractor dealership.........if there is a tractor dealer near you it would definitely be a good place to look for a low silicate or sca charged antifreeze.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa also has a low silica antifreeze. Last time I got some it was in a blue bottle. They used to sell it in a white bottle, so who knows what color the bottle is.

Heath

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After too much research on anti-freeze I found that what I added is low-silicate. ASTM D-4985 is the certification for low silicate. A lot of antifreeze won't say low silicate on the bottle but if it meets that spec then it is low silicate. So now I just gotta get some additve and test strips. I'm moving to New Mexico so I'm just gonna treat my anti-freeze and then do a flush and drain when I get there. Its going to be -2 F this weekend here in Michigan and my radiator has some scale so it not worth buying all new antifreeze just to drain it out in a month.

Any SCA with ASTM D-5752 rating will protect against cavitation and will make EG low-silicate antifreeze meet the same spec as pre-charged heavy duty diesel anti-freeze.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything in my area for sometime now has been the "extended life" yellow type...> The container stated it's compatible will (all) coolants. Not much of a option now a days.:dunno
*I've also been using the Fram additive for years now with Fleetguard test strips ;Sweet

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online