Copper and acidic wvo

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Any of You wvo burners use coper fuel lines or coper heat exchangers inside the fuel tank?

JOAT

Reaction score
I'd try to avoid it. Acid (FFA) of WVO is not really the issue. Any water in the WVO will cause the copper to oxidize. There is also considerable evidence that copper acts as a catalyst for polyerization of oil (sort of a linoleum like goo).

As a side note, copper tends to become less flexible, even brittle when heated. If you solder an in-tank copper heat exchanger make sure it is very well supported. If it cracks over time, you'll be dumping coolant in your tank.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
oooo good to know i was going to bend my tank heater out of copper, what else do they reccomend? Alumimun?

JOAT

Reaction score
I used aluminum tube for mine. Made from "versatube" aircraft aluminum fuel tubing, from Aircraft Spruce. Basically a loop with pieces of HDPE to support it off the bottom of the tank. It was aluminum brazed to the plate of aluminum that attaches it from the top of the tank. Been in place around 60,000 miles without problems.

Hey Richard, where did you get the Arctic Fox from? Thinking of putting one in the RV tank

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I used sch 40 balck pipe 3/4" as one of my heat exchangers. Then used the SS tank and the SS heat sink for my stack that the tank sits on.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 4

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Aric many guys use aluminum transmission coolers and seem to have good results, but I do agree with You that SS is much better, come to think aluminum is just as soft as copper when it comes to tubes.

Only problem I have is to find a source of SS that I can bend enough to make a heating coil out of it. Any tips on this one?

For now I have 3/4 copper and looks very clean, but as soon as i get a Chance i will replace with some SS.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yea EZ aluminum is a little better then copper but like you said it is a soft metal and is not permitted in food industry applications for pumping VO thru. so if you want to not have to worry about your lines SS is the way to go. as for SS you can bend the only thing that comes to mind which is what I been considering is using 2 or 3, 3/8" lines to run the coolant thru with out having to worry about restricting flow cause you could just get SS brake line

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk