Cooling system help!

Ds2853

Reaction score
I recently did some work to my 92.5 idi zx5. I added an ats 088 turbo, stage 1 injectors, 3 inch down pile and 4 inch exhaust. I have boost egt and temp gauges (in the overtemp sensor spot). The thing runs amazing. I replaced my OE copper/brass radiator with an aluminum (don't recall brand). New water pump. New Motorcraft thermostat. New cooling fan clutch. My problem is that the cooling fan will not engage as the engine is working hard pulling my RV. I bought a lifetime warrantee from napa and am now on the 4th clutch in a month. Engine temps get as high as 240 and the fan still won't come on. The cooling system worked perfectly before I replaced the radiator and the fan clutch sounded like a jet engine when it engaged. Normal driving I can't get the truck over 190. Wondering if anyone has any advice for me or experienced similar. Thanks-

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the replacement fan clutches never work right, from my experience. you can add oil to it and it will help a lot but the downside is it doesn't free spin as much so you always kinda hear it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a fan shroud? If you don’t tell heat won’t be as concentrated on the fan clutch and it will lock up much later in the temp range

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a fan shroud? If you don’t tell heat won’t be as concentrated on the fan clutch and it will lock up much later in the temp range

This. Mine wasn't the right shroud even it had a half inch gap between the shroud and radiator I think it was for the tall not wide radiator or something. Truck never got warm while driving but sitting still was an adventure in summer with the ac on. Put on the right shroud thats tight to the truck and perfect.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa sells Hayden fan clutches. They are garbage! Go to autozone and get theirs. Its made by another company...usmotorworks.