Coolant temp

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering what all of coolant temps are trying to figure out what mine should run at. I'm about 180 driving on flat grounds with no loads on it. It does have a motorcraft t stat in it and a new radiator and rebuilt the oil cooler all at the same time with new top and bottom hoses.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Mine sits at 192 on an electric sender Autometer gauge unloaded. Towing hard usually around 210-212 with the mechanical fan on and 65F air temp. I try not to tow hard above 70F -Flame Thr

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds about right. What type of gauge are you using? Is it a quality gauge and where is the sender in the engine.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. What type of gauge are you using? Is it a quality gauge and where is the sender in the engine.

Glow shift gauges with the water temp being sensor being right behind the A/C compressor.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Good info though so i dont trust them gauges with my life

cahner

Reaction score
I have a mechanical gauge in the same place in the head right behind compressor and run just under 210 when on the freeway and about 190-200 around town and backroads. When pulling hard it will get up to 220-225 pretty easy. I have thew wide radiator that is a 4 core and a motorcraft t stat that was just replaced.
The only thing I can think is to change fan clutch, however it does lock up and help a little, not like I would like though.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck runs at like 150 all winter during summer it stays around 190 sometimes higher climbing a pass up to 220 but never been higher, unsure of my thermostat though I never really see it open and close with the mechanical gauge maybe stuck open. I'm buying a motorcade thermostat soon and radiator hoses and hopefully a tall radiator as I have the wide one now and it's a pain to do A intercooler with also have a small leak in it so it's due for replacing

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ATF from the Trans. to the Radiator comes directly from the Torque Converter, which is the hottest ATF. The purpose of the ORIFICE going into the Radiator is to restrict the flow so that the TC maintains it full and the pump maintains pressure. In the bottom of the Rad is a two pass loop, Passenger side is IN, drivers side is out, drivers side outlet can be routed to an AUX cooler mounted in front of the Radiator or straight back to the Trans.

The main purpose of the Radiator coil is for COOLING, NOT to heat the ATF. The most efficient cooling is liquid to liquid, an AUX cooler is air to liquid.

The E4OD ATF temperature will rise in a very short time, IIRC the temp needs to be only 80*F to shift from 3rd into OD.

To those that think two AUX coolers in series are more efficient, it is not so, one larger AUX cooler is much better, you don't want to present restrictions in the flow, the return ATF is used mainly to cool the trans. bearings.

An E4OD is engineered to normanly run at 180* to a 190*F, Heavy towing requires an AUX cooler sized to fit the load requirements.

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATF from the Trans. to the Radiator comes directly from the Torque Converter, which is the hottest ATF. The purpose of the ORIFICE going into the Radiator is to restrict the flow so that the TC maintains it full and the pump maintains pressure. In the bottom of the Rad is a two pass loop, Passenger side is IN, drivers side is out, drivers side outlet can be routed to an AUX cooler mounted in front of the Radiator or straight back to the Trans.

The main purpose of the Radiator coil is for COOLING, NOT to heat the ATF. The most efficient cooling is liquid to liquid, an AUX cooler is air to liquid.

The E4OD ATF temperature will rise in a very short time, IIRC the temp needs to be only 80*F to shift from 3rd into OD.

To those that think two AUX coolers in series are more efficient, it is not so, one larger AUX cooler is much better, you don't want to present restrictions in the flow, the return ATF is used mainly to cool the trans. bearings.

An E4OD is engineered to normanly run at 180* to a 190*F, Heavy towing requires an AUX cooler sized to fit the load requirements.

Think this is the wrong thread you posted this response at......