Coolant problems?

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah. That’s going to help her a lot to crank up. You in Homer Alaska?

retiredinhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah been up here for 38 years. My bio is wrong the date of birth is actually my discharge date. But I have used a few block heaters up North.
I am in Az for holidays so not plugging down here. On the side of the block are water jackets lower than the freeze plugs. Hard to get all water out without a lot of work there are some pipe plugs that can be removed. a 4 gallon refill is about right.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh good to know. Yeah there sure isn’t a lot of room with that starter in the way. I took it out when I installed the new block heater. I heard Homer is fairly nice, I was stationed in Sitka for a year with the Coast Guard. Alaska was good to me, I kind of miss it. A little hard when I was single ha

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
One thing you can try is overfilling your overflow bottle above the cold line, drive it, and see if it sucks in the extra. Just don't put in too much or it might overflow when driving and waste some. As mentioned, when I didn't have enough in my overflow, it sucked it all up and then was sucking air, collapsing the upper hose.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m going to have to try that out along with the others. Went out today and while the block heater was warming the truck up I took a test lamp to all the glow plugs and found 3 bad ones. I always knew there were a couple but I was just procrastinating. Headed out for the holiday break tomorrow though so I’m just going to order everything up and then when we get back I’ll have to put in a couple hours to get the truck moving again and moving well. I’ll have to reference everything here, can’t loose all this advice. Merry Christmas yah filthy animals!