Coolant pressure

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting ready to do headgaskets on my 1990 7.3 idi non turbo. It's been sitting for about 2 weeks and I go to drive it today and I notice the smell of antifreeze was more then it was before thought maybe just leaking worse. I popped the hood the temp was just over 180 on my gauge and the top radiator hose was rock solid and there was coolant coming out of the over flow tank. Is it safe to drive or do I need to part it for now?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That how mine is when hot, but it pouring into your over glow maybe worry, like bubbles into it? If you rev it does it start pouring more into it? Not like hard core reviving but just idle up and down some. Bubbles would be a bad sign, never hurts to change radiator cap they are pretty cheap. Now if the hose is like really squishy when it's cold and looks old I would probably replace it soon

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's always better to err on the side of caution. Now how much driving are you talking about? 100 feet would be ok. If you're planning a run down the coast and back, you may want to do the head gaskets first.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T
It's always better to err on the side of caution. Now how much driving are you talking about? 100 feet would be ok. If you're planning a run down the coast and back, you may want to do the head gaskets first.

Not far I only work 4 miles from where I live. I do have another pickup to drive. I plan on probably tearing it down this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online