Coolant issues...

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Would be nice to flush/fill the coolant in my truck. Still the green stuff from the previous owner(s). Looking to swap over to cat ELC or something similar. What are the weak points with a ELC again? Believe it was said the o-rings on the coolers (transmission, radiator,etc?) get eaten alive by it? Don't mean to rehash information, but searching turned up nothing and I can't find it in my bookmarks!

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem flushing a old Cat out and putting back in ELC, have always found a seal or hose to be done any way if it leaks normally. Maybe some one has a diff experience but that's mine with some trucks that have had green stuff put in instead of the Cat ELC.
Note: If you mix ELC, at that point you treat it like green and add SCA. It won't gel mixing with green ethylene glycol. Takes a different test strip. When the SCA in it is depleted, simply drain and refill with fresh ELC. This is assuming your talking about the red Cat ELC, Detroit has there own etc.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year truck (no, sig doesn't count...)? Not sure about the IDIs, but I know there's something in the OBS PSDs that's NOT ELC-compatible. You're supposed to use either old-school green + SCA, or Fleet Charge, which is non-ELC glycol pre-charged with SCA.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
What year truck (no, sig doesn't count...)? Not sure about the IDIs, but I know there's something in the OBS PSDs that's NOT ELC-compatible. You're supposed to use either old-school green + SCA, or Fleet Charge, which is non-ELC glycol pre-charged with SCA.

My sig is accurate. bone stock truck except for the turbo and gear vendors. 1985, 6.9. C6

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about using Caterpillar coolant (elc) lots of members (including me) have used it without issues , if your concerned about it eating away at your oil cooler orings and etc, you should change those as they are most likely over 20 years old.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'd run it.
With the obs powerstrokes, it's the injector cup sealant, but it hasn't really been confirmed. Just hearsay.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Okay, i'll look into acquiring some. Want to fortify the system a little and get away from the green junk. What else would need to be really overhauled in the system? Being 29 years old, figure it can't hurt to replace o-rings. usually so cheap, better then getting stranded somewhere!

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace the engine block heater oring (if equipped), obviously the oil cooler gaskets, Coolant hoses, maybe water pump, thermostat housing gasket, also the lower coolant housing gasket that hooks up to the lower radiator hose.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I would replace the engine block heater oring (if equipped), obviously the oil cooler gaskets, Coolant hoses, maybe water pump, thermostat housing gasket, also the lower coolant housing gasket that hooks up to the lower radiator hose.

Interesting, never knew of a gasket in the lower radiator hose area. Thanks!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ELC prevents cavatation.
No, it does NOT prevent cavItation. It's the SCA - Supplemental Coolant Additive - that prevents cavitation. MOST ELCs do NOT contain SCA. And there are anti-freezes that are NOT ELC that DO contain SCA. And of course, there is the option of adding SCA to any anti-freeze, ELC or non-ELC, that does not already contain it.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Any diesel rated ELC will prevent cavitation. You don't have to add SCAs to this type of ELC coolant.

CAT, Rotella, Delo, Zerex, Final Charge, etc are all formulated for use in diesel engines to prevent cavitation. No need to add SCAs ever.

Yes technology has come that far. We now have coolants that don't require adding SCA and they work better than conventional low silicate green plus SCA. Amazing stuff!

If your worried about seal compatibility just find an ELC that meets Cummins 14603 spec. The 14603 spec means its compatible with all older seals and gaskets.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have been running Fleet Guard for about five years now without issue. The only problem I had was when I added my coolant filter. ELC coolant does eat teflon tape which was mentioned in the "how to add a coolant filter" article on this site. It was my own fault for not realizing I was using an ELC coolant. As soon as I saw it starting to drip I grabbed a bottle and sure enough in tiny little letters, it said extended life coolant. :oops: