Coolant is Black as OIL.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I believe only the early engines had the 6 o-rings. Every one 85 and up I've ever torn down only had 4.
Use some kind of sealer on the mounting bolt threads, something like a hi tack gasket sealer, but not a glue. I'm lost for the words I'm looking for, not a sealer in a tube but something that comes in a can with a brush. Help me out here:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I managed to screw this job up. I jacked the motor up as high as it would go and still didn't have enough room to wiggle the bundle out. After that I took the PS pump and exhaust manifold off and finally was able to get the clearance I needed. I still couldn't get the thing to seal right, it leaked on the water side, maybe that's cause I used no sealer on the bolts for either header. I didn't know that was required. If it is, why not use the permatex stuff that we use on our water pump bolts?

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
That would be it exactly. What I use is an old can I had from the marine repair shop I worked at, called perfect seal, but it's basically the same stuff. I don't know that it's required, but it's a good idea with anything like that.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
It was Quicksilver (mercruiser) but I'm sure OMC would be pretty much the same thing. I used it on the gasket surfaces too, done it that way twice, first time I put one together was around 2001 and never had any leaks. Though I've never done one in the truck

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
I hate screwing up jobs and having to tear back in after getting it back together...lol

I think I will remove the PS and jack the engine to start with as I don't want to get stuck half way lol. So I have the later engine I will only need two of each seal. Will Ford be able to get me these parts? or do I have to go through IH? What about local part stores?? two of the 6C10's and two 6K649's.

The gaskets in the diagram i posted are both 6A636, but they are clearly different gaskets?

You must be registered for see images

"Permatex® Super High Tack™ Gasket Sealant

Fast-drying sealant dries to a highly tacky, non-brittle film. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C); resists gasoline, oil, antifreeze, axle lube.

Suggested Applications: Seals rubber, cork, paper and composite gaskets and hose connections"

Will this work??

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I think that will work yeah, can't recall. Maybe I'll pick up a tube tomorrow or check at Napa and see what exactly I'm thinking of.
The gaskets are different, if you buy it from an auto parts store it'll typically come with three gaskets, as one end had some variations.
Napa part number for the gasket set is ES70689. Was 6.50
I bought the o-rings from International, 1804414C1 and 1807563C1. 34.70 for all.
If you have a dealer close just go there, or Ford.
As someone said, make sure it's all really clean when it goes back together.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Oh i get it.. Part number 6A636 is the gasket set.. Makes sense now :)

I will most likely be tackling this within the next two weeks or so, I would like to thank-you guys for all the help in finding the right parts and know-how to get this done and keep this ol' beauty on the road for another couple 100k :hail

I don't think I have an IH close.. so I will most likely have to go to Ford. :( lol It will be the cleanest surface EVER lol

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
heh, before i saw what the oil cooler looked like i would have thought the vacuum pump was it LOL

Ok, so removing the exhaust mani seems like it would be a timely and painful job. lol I think I will go the route of Power steering, and Engine Mount. Do both side engine mounts need to be loosened? or just the drivers? Also, I found this diagram:

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I know you guys told me that I needed four o rings.. but this picture shows six for 1980-1999.. two of the 6C10's and four 6K649??

Very early design. I don't think they even sell those O rings anymore. Most have the 4 ring design. I have a pair of 1985 f250s and both have 4 O rings.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Very early design. I don't think they even sell those O rings anymore. Most have the 4 ring design. I have a pair of 1985 f250s and both have 4 O rings.

I don't know about ford, but international carries the Orings for both setups, however, they do not carry the gaskets for the ford application, have to get those from a parts store or ford.

clatternfool

Reaction score
I would really be sure that its just seals but to be honest with you I would cosider buying a cooler considering how many miles on the truck it sounds like a lot of trouble to have to go through again

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Unless the oil tubes have ruptured, there should be no need for a new cooler. Just make sure to look through each tube. I just rebuilt one of mine, and there was gasket material stuck in about 1/3 of the tubes from some other work done on the engine before I bought the truck.

8v-of-fury

BAMF FORD
Reaction score
Oh the Cooler will for sure be getting a CLR bath when it comes off, I will blow through the tubes with Compressed air.. that should get any gunk out. From what I've heard there not really a part that fails, seeing as how there so simple. Would the cooler itself be an IH part or Ford part?

clatternfool

Reaction score
everything that is directly related to the engine is int but I've found even with my company national discounts I can get a lot through ford cheaper than int