coolant in crankcase

donald

Reaction score
Hello i have a 92 7.3 IDI. got it free has been setting for a year after owner saw water in crankcase.
This motor has been rebuilt and used very little in 10 years after rebuild. I took off the heads the head gaskets look ok. #2 and #4 cylinders have some rust at the top 1.5 inch's of the cylinders. I did notice some small cracks in head around where the fuel is injected but no rust in cracks. From what i have read here it sounds like water can get into oil from cavatation holes, head gaskets and the oil cooler. I don't think it is head gaskets. Only found a small amount of coolant in oil when drained. Top of#2 piston looks clean (white'ish) could that be sign that water is leaking into this cylinder? Cylinders have no ring ridge and can still see cross hatch pattern. I am wanting to repair this motor and replace my tired 6.9. How can i check my oil cooler for leaks? Take it off and look for water in it? where do the coolers leak from? Any idea's?
Thanks
Don

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
Like Scott eluded to. The cowl seal on these trucks rot and if you notice the air cleaner is directly below the cowl. If the gasket / grommet on the head of the cleaner lid bolt is cracked, rotted, missing water gets right into the intake (been there, done that this past winter. Drained almost 2 qts of water out of the oil pan). Guessing you are NA since it is a 92.

My money says the water came in through the intake not the coolers or cavitation.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think the 2 posts clearly tell you where the water probably came from seeing a cylinder has rusted a bit. Pics will really help show us what you are not seeing too.
The oil cooler leaks past the o rings found on both ends of the header bundle. Each end has 2 rubber o rings. If the drivers side head is off the engine then the cooler is easy to remove and fix. You have 4 bolts in both front and rear flanges. Was the coolant anti freeze? If so then was anti freeze coming out the oil drain? If water came out then it was rain water.

donald

Reaction score
Definitely not rain water, coolant green. Talked to owner he said he saw steam coming out exhaust and i found only a small amount off coolant in oil when drained. I will try to get pic's today.
Thanks for all the help!
Don

donald

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images
here are some pics that did not work i'll try again

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
the heads the head gaskets look ok. #2 and #4 cylinders have some rust at the top 1.5 inch's of the cylinders. I did notice some small cracks in head around where the fuel is injected but no rust in cracks. From what i have read here it sounds like water can get into oil from cavatation holes, head gaskets and the oil cooler. I don't think it is head gaskets. Only found a small amount of coolant in oil when drained. Top of#2 piston looks clean (white'ish)

Cracks in the injector cups are normal, as long as they don't go past the head gasket
fire ring.

Did the previous owner say why the engine was rebuilt in past? Steam in the exhaust could be a head gasket, cracked head, or cavitation. If the engine had been overheated in the past, it could be a cracked head. Inspect the head gasket and head very closely for cracks in the #2 cyl valve area. You'll need to remove the valves. Cavitation is not common in cyl #2, it's mostly found in the rear cylinders and sometimes #4 from what I've read. The #2 clean piston indicates it was steam cleaned. The rust in the cylinders could be from sitting a long time with a valve open. Below is a pic of a cracked cyl head in the intake valve area.

You must be registered for see images attach

A view from the intake manifold side. Notice how clean the port looks from being steam cleaned.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online