coolant filter

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Before I filled the coolant back up I was looking at the possibility of putting a coolant filter on it. i searched around and found this article

http://www.oilburners.net/articles/coolfilter4.html

I see in the article that he hooked it up where the filter coolant flows around the filter, he refers to it as a bypass style fitler, How would the filter even do anything like pictured considering the extremely low pressure of the coolant system?

I have a cat filter head that was originally used as a fuel filter head that I hope to be able to use but I will have to check into the compatibility of it with precharged filters.

I am also seeing that cat elc and fleetcharge are popular coolants, anyone have any other reccomendations?

Last edited:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am interested in this too. So I am going to watch for replies as well.

I am running Prestone HD, it is a pre-charged coolant. I mixed it a little heavy on coolant (5 gallons of coolant, 3 gallons of water) with the thought that finding distilled water is easier than pre-charged coolant if I ever need to add anything.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works by filtering a portion of the coolant that is flowing to the heater cooler. So it is always filtering some of the coolant, but if the coolant filter plugs up, the heater core will still get flow. This is how I have mine set up. Some have set their coolant filters up in line with the heater core. When the filter plugs, it reduces the flow of coolant to the heater core and is telling you it is time to changer the coolant filter. Either way works so take your pick. The main thing is that our trucks can benefit form a coolant filter becuase of the SCA's in the coolant. As the SCA's break down ( and along with other stuff in the coolant system that doesn't belong there like casting sand) the filter will catch it and get it out of there. Definately a worthwhile addition to you truck!

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It works by filtering a portion of the coolant that is flowing to the heater cooler. So it is always filtering some of the coolant, but if the coolant filter plugs up, the heater core will still get flow. This is how I have mine set up. Some have set their coolant filters up in line with the heater core. When the filter plugs, it reduces the flow of coolant to the heater core and is telling you it is time to changer the coolant filter. Either way works so take your pick. The main thing is that our trucks can benefit form a coolant filter becuase of the SCA's in the coolant. As the SCA's break down ( and along with other stuff in the coolant system that doesn't belong there like casting sand) the filter will catch it and get it out of there. Definately a worthwhile addition to you truck!
X2.. Bypass oil filter works the same way.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok now im getting it, now the only question is are there any cons to overloading the dca level of the coolant? I went and got 4 gallons of fleet precharged antifreeze and I planned on ordering the filter with 0 dca charge and the filter head.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok now im getting it, now the only question is are there any cons to overloading the dca level of the coolant? I went and got 4 gallons of fleet precharged antifreeze and I planned on ordering the filter with 0 dca charge and the filter head.

As I understand it, too high of a SCA level can be ******* the water pump.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok those filters are pretty cool now just need to look through and see if any of them fit the napa filter head

NF2088.;Sweet

you'd want to run a cheaper napa/wix blank for 7 or 8k miles first to catch most of the sand casting so you don't plug up a good need release as they cost a bit more.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 101

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
awesome I really appreciate the help here. I have actually never worried about sca's just ran oreillys green coolant and water, but I think I will actually start to take care of it now

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Here's mine ran in bypass style. Works pretty good. I've cut the filter apart and found a little sediment/junk in them every time.

I used stainless fittings and welded them where I could to avoid leaks. Be careful to not disturb the AC canister, lines and evaporator core during the install I tried to move mine a bit for clearance and snapped the line on the core -DOH! -cuss LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
As I understand it, too high of a SCA level can be ******* the water pump.

Exactly! This is why you don't want to overdose the SCAs. You can also plug your heater core and radiator from adding to much. Heat transfer from the cylinder walls to the coolant is also greatly reduced.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I looked at amazon and couldnt find the base, I didnt look for the filter because I saw no use in ordering from two different places, thanks for all the info again, I am ready to get this truck back on the road and see how well the turbo woke it up, but I told myself when I parked it that I would do everything I had been putting off while it was apart