Convert 8 lug down to 5 lug

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 lug to 5 lug is NOT an easy swap.

The TTB of the F250 has a different ball joint spacing that the F150 TTB thus a conversion is not all that simple of a knuckle out conversion.

U may consider an older 78/9 F150 D44 solid axle amd swap to coil front end...

It seems u are jammimg up on a few things. Why not swap F250 stuff into yer current truck

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Again you guys are all forgetting not every f250 4x4 was a d50. Mine is a d44hd. Same bearings, balljoints and axleshafts/housings from a d44, just has leaf perches and 8 lug rotors/dual piston caliper. I can take from the spindle out and swap it to f150/bronco outers. It's the bigger stuff that causes the issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again you guys are all forgetting not every f250 4x4 was a d50. Mine is a d44hd. Same bearings, balljoints and axleshafts/housings from a d44, just has leaf perches and 8 lug rotors/dual piston caliper. I can take from the spindle out and swap it to f150/bronco outers. It's the bigger stuff that causes the issue.
Measure before u buy....d44hd has different balljoint spacing for larger knuckle...on ttb....

Older D44 solid axles have same bj spacing be it a half ton coil spring or 3/4 ton either swaps to either.....

I could be wrong on ttb but IIRC as I was investigating this swap but 5 to 8...it WOULD NOT FIT

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering I took 8 lug d44hd outers and put them on a d44 to convert it to 8 lug, it should work in reverse

I am not calling you a liar, but I don't see how that can happen. The dana 44hd has larger diameter rotors and different brake calipers than the f150 dana 44 ttb. Possibly you got your different projects mixed up?

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
No.. the caliper mount gets swapped, as I also stated above, so you will be using the d44 single piston caliper and mount along with the smaller rotor and 5 lug hub. If I had the spare time I would yank apart my d44 5 lug and my d44hd 8 lug to show you guys

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok guys, after doing some reading and looking for pics, I have found you can NOT go from 8 lug to 5 lug, but you CAN go from 5 lug to 8 lug. The issue is the knuckle itself. The 5 lug knuckle will accept the larger caliper, but the 8 lug knuckle can not. The caliper will hit. And we already know the knuckles will not swap. Here is a pic describing wha I mean. The arrow is the caliper mounting area. Now you can see why I was able to to swap to 8 lug with no issue. I assumed you could do the opposite but I was wrong
You must be registered for see images attach

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
And yes those are 77-79 knuckles but the mounting area is the same. Ignore the steering arm mount on the f250 one

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not understamd desire to covert anyway...

Makes no semse...bigger brakes better brakes..stromger parts...just not seeing the reason...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not understamd desire to covert anyway...

Makes no semse...bigger brakes better brakes..stromger parts...just not seeing the reason...

He explained his reason in his first post :)

Been doing some digging into weight regulations out here for importing an idi ..... my old f150 is pretty tidy and while i can/ could convert it if i have to. iv'e been wondering if i could get a F250 to comply with our 7700lb rules which would save me doing a rhd conversion. That would mean i'd be able to sell of the f150 and basically have it cover the cost of importing and complying the f250.

gfemling

Reaction score
May not be exactly on topic but front hub related question which you guys seem knowledgeable enough about to know answer- on 4x4 front hubs- D50 va D60- ‘87/‘88 vintage (so not ball joint) are the drive hub/brake disc assemblies (appears to be one piece- not able to replace brake disc only) interchangeable? Several years ago I swapped an F350 D60 into my F250HD TTB in place of original D50. The outer hubs of D50 visually looked same as those on D60 so held onto for future spares. Now wondering if just fooling myself- anyone know is both same?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can swap all the running gear you want and it will still have the same gvw on the door sticker, I would guess that's what they are going to check. Just put an f150 cab on it like jwalterus suggested and be done with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online