Conversion Ideas

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well I'm doing a bit of dreaming and scheming here....

My wife has an 2002 Suzuki XL7 with a 2.7L V6 Auto. its 183HP stock..... they are known for cam chain tensioners and on these its a pretty big job. We started towing a small pop up (rally goers seen it last July) and its a bit gutless with the lift and larger tires.

I'm also kicking around doing a solid axle swap on it at some point but the power issue brings me here...

any ideas on a small diesel to put into it. i originally thought a VW TDI but will a TDI put down anywhere close to the power im looking for and still keep reasonable economy. Even in its lifted state it will flirt with 20 on the highway. with the camper behind it its more like 12mpg....

im not opposed to building my own turbo setup and i think a 4bt may be a bit too heavy for this application.

Ideas?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd look at some of the engines that have been in John Deere tractors. Don't know much about them, but physically they look like they would fit in a lot of things, and because it runs like a Deere, I bet you could double or quadruple the horsepower and be OK.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about an Isuzu Trooper diesel from a 87-91 vintage? that is if you don't have any smog laws restricting the install of a older motor into a newer chassis.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
those from what i gather have head/head gasket issues and you pretty much cant get a replacement anymore

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I thought about that too...seems it started to take hold with jeep guys but they stopped because they are pretty gutless and dont hold up well with tinkering

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I have always wanted a long wheelbase SJ-410 type rig with a TDI motor. Its been a dream since the late 90's. Owned several Samurais over the years. One had a 231 Buick V-6 and it was OK. One had a Nissan Z24- this was my favorite! Nephew has one with a 22R drivetrain that runs out pretty good...

Been on the Samurai Diesel Yahoo group for over 10 years now. I would lean toward using the TDI mated to a Toyota 5 speed and transfer case if its feasible in the XL7. The TDI can be made to put down 280-300 ft lbs before it gets unreliable. The larger Toyota clutch and trans will be needed!! If you are wanting to do a solid axle swap you might be $$$ ahead to find a donor solid axle truck.

A TDI in an XL7 should get you crazy mpg numbers if you take it easy on the go pedal. My guess would be 25-29 city and 35+ highway. (Of course this is dependent on tire size.)

Someday I will get that LWB...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yea i was on it for awhile too. i keep comming back to the TDI... was thinking on trying to mate it to the stock XL7 auto. ill bet ACME either has something or could come up with something. its going to stay auto as 5spd vitara's are rare as hens teeth around here.... i got lucky and stumbled across a steel front housing and third for the stock IFS. as for a SAS id prolly be lookin at an XJ D30 since the XL is pass side drop. its on 245-75-16's right now. my goal is 31's or 32's max. stock axle ratio is 5.13!!!

my samurai will be getting a turbo 16v at some point in the distant future... and my dream zuk would be an SJ410K but good luck on that one lol

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
yea i was on it for awhile too. i keep comming back to the TDI...
Hard to beat that much power in such a small package!

stock axle ratio is 5.13!!!
Yikes!! You're gonna need 36's!

my samurai will be getting a turbo 16v at some point in the distant future... and my dream zuk would be an SJ410K but good luck on that one lol

My plan these days is to buy a LWB body from Aqualu http://www.aqualu.com/suzuki-samurai-bodies.html and do a custom frame and drive-train. Probably never happen, but its one of those old pipe dreams that just won't quit.:love:

That turbo 16V should be fun!!:D

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I thought about that too...seems it started to take hold with jeep guys but they stopped because they are pretty gutless and dont hold up well with tinkering

As to M-B, if you can get your hands on an OM617.952 (1981-1985 cast iron head) put a bigger turbo on it and turn up the pump, it will be anything but gutless. As for tinkering, it's a pretty straight up diesel, just make sure that vacuum lines are fresh and vacuum pump is good. They are like German women, treat them well and and they treat you to a lifetime of happiness, treat them poorly and they leave you... On the side of the road.:D

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
elaborate oh wise one lol....what sort of numbers can be had from one of these engines? also any idea on physical dimensions?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercedes motor might be a tight fit... here is one in a ?69-71 Mercury Cougar: http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?10230-Fun-Little-Contest-who-has-the-quot-most-interesting-quot-swap-going...&p=77785#post77785

You must be registered for see images attach
That is a sweet conversion ;Sweet Anyone have any idea where that air cleaner setup came from? That's not from any 617 I've ever seen (federal, EU. or '85 CA versions)...would love to find out more about it, given how ****-poor the stock air cleaner setup is...