connecting rod bearing inspection

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
hey all i got the bearings off the connecting rods and they look like they have alot of wear, offset wear to boot... see the copper? What do you all think caused this type of offset damage? i've also attached pictures of the crankshaft bearings, although they don't seem as bad.

Attachments

• connecting rod wear.jpg
    connecting rod wear.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 35
  • crankshaft bearing wear.jpg
    crankshaft bearing wear.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 31

sassyrel

Reaction score
not offset--if you measured the diff between where the lead is and aint--it would be minute--typical wear---put in new same size bearings---as the cranks are HARD!!! and away you go--:D

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like typical wear to me. The rod bearings typically wear the top halves because of the force of the combustion. The main bearings typically wear the cap side of the bearings because of the same reason and gravity.

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
:thumbsup: COOL lol i love this engine, it has about 350,000 on it and from what i can tell never rebuilt and everything is in FINE shape. thanks guys

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like average wear to me as well, nothing looks out of the ordinary. You might just run your finger nail across the crank journals and as long as you don't feel any grooves you are good to go.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just normal wear for the mileage, how's the crank look? Judging by those bearing's I'd say slap it back together -your good to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats typical wear for these motors. If you align bore or hone the crank journels in the block it will cause the bearings to wear correctly. Thats a big job and really not needed for what you are doing. I did it because of what I wanted out of my motor. New bearings and your set to go.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the oil clearance was still very close to spec. Those look pretty good to me. If it were not for the fact that bearings are cheap and easy to replace, you could probably reuse them.

I am not saying to use them again, just that your engine is probably still in very good condition. Should be good for another 350k at least after its back together.