compression test results

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
all the cylinders where between 400psi - 480psi except the rear 2 the rear p.s. was 340psi the rear d.s. was 320psi:eek:
before i did the test the engine started good but now won't start at all

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not good news but its almost a pass. I'd run it I would guess its from too much blowby going to those rear two from the CDR, might give you a bit of a rough idle maybe a tiny bit hard to start on a cold morning. A little tired but not too bad. Its still enough to be a diesel and not bad enough that it would be ridiculously unbalanced. However that does mean its time to begin building that dream truck of yours or source parts to rebuild this engine if that's still a few years in the future.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
it ran great before the comp test now it won't even start. It usually started before the engine made the first revolution. it was REALLY loud before it got up to temp like 2x as loud than it would quiet down once it was at temperature. I am not familiar with auto-rx

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That Auto Rx is some real nifty stuff. It does wonders for old diesels. I've brought compression numbers way up on a bunch of them that had rings that were sticky from soot and varnish. It's certainly worth a try. worst thing that can happen is you wind up with a clean engine.

Did you re-connect the fuel shutoff solenoid after running the compresion test?
Did you test through the glow plug or injector holes? if injector, might have got some air in somewhere.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably you have inoperative glows or the FSS is disconnected. The loud noise on startup is normal and intended. The timing is advanced about 1-3 degrees on a cold startup until the thermal switch sees 112*F then it kicks down to your normal timing and slow idle. Its to help the engine start easier cold and reduce cold smoke emissions. If the timing remains too far advanced it can break things. Factory spec is 8.5*BTDC with the pulse method how far advanced is too far.... hard to say.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
is it sold in canada and if so any suggestions where i might try i have never even heard of it before

Click on the blue linky in my last post. It is only sold by the manufacturer. via mail order. You can place Canadian orders online.

Read the instructions for diesels. you will need 2 bottles for one treatment and if over 100k miles really need to run 2 ful treatments ( 4 bottles all that crud didn't get put there overnight, it takes a little while to get it all gone)

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I went out today and tried it today and it lit up like a dream little bit of blue like usual, so i let it run for about an hour, no black on the ground so i did manage to fix the oil leak as well. Than i installed the new exhaust and let it run for a bit once again to check for leaks all is well, tomorrow i am doing an oil change than everything should be good for a while

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I went out today and tried it today and it lit up like a dream little bit of blue like usual, so i let it run for about an hour, no black on the ground so i did manage to fix the oil leak as well. Than i installed the new exhaust and let it run for a bit once again to check for leaks all is well, tomorrow i am doing an oil change than everything should be good for a while

Gnomes.... Gotta be those stinking gnomes :backoff :backoff :backoff
At least it's starting now :D

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i was trying to ge tmy idid going to go to smithers b.c. for work well the night before i left the E40D **** the bed so i had to take my '02 ranger and wouldn't you know coming back i got a speeding ticket with it pulling a 17' travel trailer. anyway back to the E40D i am going to convert to manual. I am also trying to convince tbhe wife that me pulling the engine and rebuilding it is a good idea i was considering using a C-9 cat for my dream truck and leaving this one as is. I have never liked auto trannys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online