Compression reduced pistons

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve made over 400hp with a stock engine with stock head bolts, It’s just not necessary to drop the compression for any current attainable power level, only thing you get from lower compression is more valve to piston clearance, which should really be corrected with the valve recession into the head if that much has been taken off. Otherwise, you’re just limiting your performance and drivability of the engine with a lower compression than stock.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OE reduced CR pistons seem hard to find. Easiest thing to do is get standard pistons and have them decked. When I did mine I went 0.015" and then had them ceramic coated. IIRC that reduced the CR about 1.5 points. (~20.5 IIRC?) Still started and ran just fine there. I'd be cautious about taking too much off for numerous reasons. Also highly reccomend ceramic coating.

HITACHI

Reaction score
The truck that the engine is going in is no where near daily driver stats so it really doesn’t bother me how hard it starts

Just what are you planning to do with the truck ?
You doing tractor pulls or drag racing it ?

Personally if the last set of OEM pistons worked for x amount of hrs then why not stay with OEM parts .

You get to much fuel/air in your cyl and your pistons will heat crack .
There is a ton of issues that go with pumping up a diesel engine .
More power equals more heat …….and higher pressures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck