Complete Turbo cost?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering just out of curiosity, how much (not including labor of course) how much it would cost to put a turbo on my 83" 6.9. Im talking stud bolts, gaskets and etc.. and if possible could you provide links for the parts..

thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Figure about $250.00 in studs. then around $150.00 in head gaskets and valley pan gasket. then the cost of the turbo be it new or used. Shopping ebay for a new or used turbo is usually the best but our market place has them too listed from time to time. Finding a complete used turbo is tuff. The best new complete kit is the Banks wastegated sindwinder kit. the only thing missing in their kit is the cussing and swaet you will be donating to the job. Otherwise they are complete down to the last nut, bolt and washer.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figure about $250.00 in studs. then around $150.00 in head gaskets and valley pan gasket. then the cost of the turbo be it new or used. Shopping ebay for a new or used turbo is usually the best but our market place has them too listed from time to time. Finding a complete used turbo is tuff. The best new complete kit is the Banks wastegated sindwinder kit. the only thing missing in their kit is the cussing and swaet you will be donating to the job. Otherwise they are complete down to the last nut, bolt and washer.

I wouldnt mind a used turbo, Everything on my truck is factory so i dont want to have to buy all new stuff (ip, inj, and etc) i just dont know what to search for on ebay, i looked earlier and didnt find anyting

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind a used turbo, Everything on my truck is factory so i dont want to have to buy all new stuff (ip, inj, and etc) i just dont know what to search for on ebay, i looked earlier and didnt find anyting
Look in the Marketplace here...and you will find a turbo for sale currently!

Good luck with your project...ask as much as you want we are here to help.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in the Marketplace here...and you will find a turbo for sale currently!

Good luck with your project...ask as much as you want we are here to help.

Yea i did notice the ats kit for sale. i dont know how hard this stuff will be to install... im in no hurry to buy anything, i would like to learn more about the install before i make any purchases

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea i did notice the ats kit for sale. i dont know how hard this stuff will be to install... im in no hurry to buy anything, i would like to learn more about the install before i make any purchases

Well I'd suggest reading Mel's instructional in the tech section IIRC could be FAQ been while since been up in there LOL

Also try and do search with TURBO INSTALL OIL BURNERS on google and such to find threads pertaining to what you want to know.

IT is time consuming but if you are comfortable doing HG or heck even a water pump or brake job you can install a turbo.

Biggest issues I see are Grommets LOL and then of course the um...cough exhaust system.

JM2CW

Al

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, other than making room for the downpipe, putting on a turbo is just a follow the directions bolt on job. Not 2 difficult.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the cost of parts I used when rebuilding the 6.9 in the F350(you're not going that far so the gasket set will be cheaper for just the heads).
Gasket set and valley pan (Victor Rienz) $250
ARP head studs $215
Head dowels $12.50

The cost of a used turbo kit will certainly be cheaper than a new one, but plan on adding cost for small stuff that is usually missing from a used setup. I spend around $300 to get a few things that were missing or broken for my used Banks kit.

Also, used isn't always good either. The turbo I have on the crew cab now has a bad seal letting oil leak into the intake. That's means I'll have to rebuild or replace it. I'll likely replace it as (per Russ) they are not a fun rebuild and I really need more air than that turbo can provide anyway with my Moose IP and injectors.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online